Author Topic: 5.56 FAL  (Read 9128 times)

Offline WDI

5.56 FAL
« on: September 12, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
I think we all want one, especially one that takes our USGI mags for our AR's. Evidently Solomon was right, there is nothing new under the sun. I found this: http://world.guns.ru/assault/braz/imbel-md-97-e.html

Now all we need are the specs right? New project: Data mine the MD97 prints.

Offline Mikanator

Re: 5.56 FAL
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 07:12:43 AM »
It looks like someone who knows what they are doing build something similar just off the picture. It looks like a screwed together block with the same FAL style mag catch on a new upper. Heck, it probably woudn`t be to terribly hard to build it based on the 7.62 FAL lower, which could give you room for an AR mag catch.

*Disclosure: I have no idea what I am doing, nor do I claim to!  ;D*

Offline WDI

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:33:36 AM »
What I found interesting was the dust cover and the AR style mag release. I think they had the right idea with the mag release, USGI mags are not FAL steel. I wouldn't think you could do a lot of mag changes, using the fresh mag, before you run into mag issues. But the dust cover I'm not sure of... Why? (I know it's to keep the dust out  :P). The FAL design doesnt need one. I think for the most part. Those of us looking for a 5.56 FAL are looking for the real deal. A scaled down FAL. Maybe the Galil is the way to go. I wonder how heavy a machined Galil would be. Unlike the Machined HK91's I'd think it would be a lot lighter. Especially in 5.56. I don't know but it would be cool to make one! :)

Offline theswede

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
the swedish military uses some modified FAL rifle that uses standard ar mags ... its called AK5

its a pretty nice rifle

Offline WDI

Offline theswede

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »
yeah they do ... cant say 100% detailwise but google "swedish ak5" but it looks alot like it , but from what ive heard the swedes has had some modifications done to improve it , wheter they got the improvements done by fn fal or someone else i dont know

Theswede,

Do they look like http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11401823/rifles-for-sale/semi-auto-rifle/fn-fnc-223-w-2fbox-2c-nice!!-**no-reserve**?

Offline Petri

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 09:28:02 AM »
The swedish AK-5 is made by Bofors in Sweden and looks just a little bit different than the FN FNC. If i remember correctly the modifications were mainly to adapt it to swedish climate.

Offline WDI

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
Why? Doesn't Sweden have the same climate as Florida? Palm trees and beaches right?

Offline Petri

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 06:34:37 AM »
Yep you are totally right and don't forget about them hot blondes sunbathing topless everywhere   ;D

Offline TehVice

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 12:23:32 AM »
Just for the sake of setting the record straight, the AK5 is a modified FNC, not FAL. (The only part that the AK5 and FAL have in common is the pistol grip.)

Offline WDI

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »
Vice, I found this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=336283854

Gives good pictures of the FCG on the lower. Can't remember if I posted it already or not :)

Offline Prototype Services

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 01:20:31 AM »
Springfield imported some SAR4800s that were basically 308 Imbel FALs with a barrel and bolt change, and a magwell insert. DSA at one time carried 223 bolts. Barrels can be made from Remy or Win take-offs. There once was a guy from Horsepowerfarms doing excellent conversions of FALs to other calibers, and even a switchbarrel version. I have two bolts and two aluminum receivers awaiting 223 builds, but I'd really like to see someone build an aluminum receiver that simply takes the AR mags rather than convert a 308 receiver. The Imbel magwell adapters were never imported by themselves, and the HPF guy built them to order.

Offline WDI

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »
I think it's time to start an independent FAL that takes AR mags. Does anyone have any specific FAL insights in regard to this project? Ideas that you would like to see in a modern FAL style design?