Author Topic: Using cncguns solidworks files  (Read 4819 times)

Offline es79

Using cncguns solidworks files
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »
Hello, I'm new here. What a great site. There is a wealth of info on here. I've been using autocad for years. I've just recently got a real copy of solidworks to learn on. I downloaded one of the files of the AR15 lower. I'm having issues getting solidworks to "recognize features". I would like to get the features in the tree so I could mess around a little bit with it and also what to design a stock and attach an upper of my own design.

It keeps locking solidworks when recognizing the extrudes. What I would like to know if someone here has a part file that has all the features?  I'm just attempting to learn solidworks so maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to get started. Hopefully someone can assist me?  Thanks in advance.

-Earle

Offline KAG

• Guns are people too!
    • HLF Mfg.
Re: Using cncguns solidworks files
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:59:38 PM »
I had the same problem with solidworks. I was never able to get it to work.

I use Alibre now and it wont load some SW drawings that I made. I think parts made on different software (Solidworks, Alibre, BobCAD, etc...) might struggle with translations depending on how the part was drawn. Im my experience (very limited), parts I built in SW by adding (not extrude cutting) seem to work better in Alibre. Might just be coincidence.

I started an AR but havnt had much time to finish it.

Good luck!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline theswede

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »
how much memory (ram) u guys got?

when i ran feature rec. on mine with the STI frame i thought it kept freezing as well .. after MANY attempts i found out that i just had insufficient memory making it very slow at it .. SW used 7.6gb out of 8 crunching features making the pc hang up but i left it alone and shut down all other programs .. took it an hour allmost but there it was.. 

Offline KAG

• Guns are people too!
    • HLF Mfg.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 05:08:14 PM »
Wow Swede..... thats a long time for an 8GB comp

I was using a 4GB with solidworks
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline theswede

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:55:24 AM »
then theres your problem .. apparantly SW uses alot of memory to run FR and if an 8gb system hangs up .. 4gb system will never be enough

Offline EvanC

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 01:41:23 AM »
I have SW2014 and honestly, I didn't even use feature recognition on my model.  All I did was use SW to check for surface errors and export to X_T.  It worked fine.