Author Topic: Where to buy FAL receivers?  (Read 19992 times)

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
Where to buy FAL receivers?
« on: June 24, 2007, 07:32:52 PM »
Where's a good place to buy a couple FAL receivers?  I'm thinking of going with DSArms, but i just wanted to get your guys opinion.  I need a couple good receivers to reference when I make the solidmodel.

Thanks,
Justin

Offline Prototype Services

Re: Where to buy FAL receivers?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 10:48:41 PM »
Buy direct, almost no secondary vendor can keep any receiver in stock for very long. Too much demand for the small supply.
I bet you will have to wait anyway.
D2

Offline Faust

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 05:01:49 PM »
Imbel makes a bitchin type 3 that is top notch(IMHO, The best), type 1 and 2 you will probably have to settle for DSarms; if I were to reverse engineer one, I would buy a complete rifle with an Imbel receiver at a Gshow and take it apart; ofcourse there are some more exotic belgians and others out there but for a substantial premium.
my2c's.

Offline para45

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 07:02:51 PM »
your only choice at this time is DSArms as they have the original blue prints. they purchased the rights and all the spare parts from FN. if you need information on fals go to the http://www.falfiles.com/forums/ there is tons of information there. :) :) :) everyone else has reverse engineered their reciever. the only other one is a geared imbel type 3. at this time both are going for a premium.aka 400-500 dollars atf banned the import of brazilian imbels. there is a market for fal recievers if it is a good reciever. fal recievers have some heat treatment also to get the strength required. one guy tried to make them out of aluminum and they are called alumaBOMBs :o :o

Offline jamesob

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 01:09:26 AM »
entreprise arms in iriwndale makes nice stuff also.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:02:28 AM »
I agree, I have 5 EAI L1A1 receivers. I need more.

Let me add one thing. It is the general concensus of the FAL community that the WAC receivers were incredibly well machined and in-spec.
But found to be not strong enough for 308. They cracked at the locking shoulder after repeated firings. Due to the design, all the force is applied to this small area far back in the receiver.
But the WACs have been used successfully in other calibers.

Offline rich

• Thompson Machine
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 05:07:05 AM »
DSA's parts and prints came from Steyr , not FN. Top qaulity stuff, bought my first parts from Dave in 1988

Offline JP223

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »
where can I get a WAC receiver??

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 06:08:59 PM »
Watch the FALFiles marketplace or place a WTB ad. They are pretty rare now loose and not previously built into something.
Bug Justin, he has mine and is supposed to be working on the FAL stuff.

Offline motoguy

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 10:00:53 AM »
Has there been any update on the FAL receiver solid models, drawings, etc?

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »
I wish....
I think Justin has been busy with moving and the family business.
Lane hasn't posted anything new about what he was working on.
There has been renewed interest in a 223 and 45 FAL recently too.

Offline ~DEVO~

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 12:58:48 AM »
You should check out Meepers work on the FALFILES. He switch barrel setup makes the FAL more exciting.

Offline JP223

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 02:57:47 AM »
I'm in for a 45 and, 223 FAL!

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 12:33:33 PM »
Meeper does amazing work, but I didn't know he was still building anything. Switching barrels and using magwell adapters is great if you only own one receiver.
On the other hand, being able to build a complete dedicated rifle can be very desirable to many people too.  The AR45 is a good example of this.
I've been doing some R&D, and once someone draws the FAL receiver in CAD, I think we can shorten it for the 45acp OAL, and build a lighter, handier carbine.
I think the 223 should use a dedicated magwell, but copy the Imbel 223FAL mag release system.

Offline John Bear Ross

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »
My buddy, who bought my Meeper switchbarrel off me and sent it back to Vern for work, tells me that Meeper has gone full-time in the gunsmith business.

Good man to deal with.

Also, if you're still looking for a receiver to pattern off of, go Imbel (produced under license from FN), or DSA (made on Steyr tooling).  There are a couple Williams receivers out there, and they are apparently machining marvels, but the aluminum rec'rs became known as "alumibombs" after they cracked at the Locking Shoulder.  Williams made a handful of steel receivers on the same pattern, and they seemed to pass muster, but they're rare as hen's teeth.

The FAL Files Marketplace forum is the web-bazaar of all things Fusil Automatique Leger.

Good luck.  I'd love to see your FAL Type I, II, or III patterns.  III would be simplest and most robust, but I's and II's are very elegant.

Best,
JBR

Offline gunsmoke

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 06:18:04 PM »
Just a couple of thoughts/suggestions FWIW.

There is a market out there for a 5.56 x 45 mm FAL. BUT it really needs to be scaledso you have a smaller and lighter FAL than a 7.62.

There other important (I think VITAL) the gun has to be designed to accept AR15 mags and must be capable of accepting all of them including drums.

Ruger would have busted ass and dominated the 7.62 x 39 mm market if they had only designed the mini to accept the most popular magazine in history, the AK. Fighting hi-cap and going proprietary condemned Ruger and Bill's letter to Congress cast a pall over Ruger that will be long and sorely remembered.

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I like idea of scaling a 223FAL down, but I think it is one of theose cases of dimiminishing returns. Right now 223 bolts are available, and every part from a FAL kit could be used but the barrel, or use a barrel-less kit. The Imbel 223 version of the FAL uses a magwell insert(Which we could use a dedicated receiver), a dedicated barrel, and bolt, and a special mag release button that replaces the hinge pin.
If we scaled one down, we would need a smaller carrier, bolt, topcover, receiver, and might need to redesign even more parts. Every time a new part is needed, it adds to the cost and especially the delay in getting it built.
Right now the 223 and 45 FALs are just dreams anyway.