Author Topic: FS: GG Mag Baseplates  (Read 22010 times)

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
FS: GG Mag Baseplates
« on: April 20, 2008, 09:57:50 PM »
OK folks, let's kick off the new FS/FT area:
For those of you wanting GG mag baseplates for use in shortening standard 30-rd mags, I now have a limited number available for sale. Goober's Grease Gun Mag Base Plates (G3MBP's) are aluminum and based on Tango Chaser's baseplates, with a few minor differences:
TC's were made from 0.43"-ish plate, while mine are made from 0.50" bar stock. The extra thickness does not seem to change the suggested mag body or spring lengths for various numbers of rounds from TC's original post here:
http://www.cncguns.com/forum/index.php?topic=170.0
G3MBP's have a 1/4"x20 TPI hole tapped in the center of one side, which you can put either up (facing inside the mag where it will not show) or down, where it can be used to help pull the baseplate out of a tight mag, or used to attach a loop or other accessory.
G3MBP's will be available Type II Anodized black for an additional charge.
Tech Drawing:

Note that these are produced quickly on my cheapo chicom mini-mill and tolerances are probably ±0.01", regardless of the sig digits in the drawing. But GG mags are all over the place anyways. Trust me, they will fit.
Pic of a G3MBP on top/right, and a TC BP on the bottom/left, for reference:

Pic showing a G3MBP in a mag, w/ 1/4"x20 TPI socket head screw in place:

As described in TC's original post, you will need to drill and tap in front and back for 8-32 cap screws, a pair of which will be included with each G3MBP.
for an additonal charge, I will include an 8-32" tap set with both starter and bottoming taps.
G3MBP's are designed to fit the wide-rib GG mags and will fit the narrow-rib mags as well (with small gaps).

Prices are as follows:
Unanodized w/ cap screws:   $5.00
Anodized w/ caps screws:    $8.00
8-32 tap set:                $6.00

Shipping by USPS is $5.00 within CONUS. International shipping cost depends on where you are.
These prices are not intended to make me a profit, merely to pay for materials and time.
I haven't made a ton of these b/c they are made by hand and I need to get an idea of demand. I currently have 15 or so, but can crank out more if the demand is there.
Likewise I have NO anodized parts in stock; I will anodize them according to demand and it will be done in batches, so anodizing will likely add a week to your delivery time.
However, there will be no khalan fiascos; I won't accept payment unless I have stock on hand and can ship right away; I will accept your order, and when it can be filled I will require payment before shipping.
And in accordance with our forum rules, you may view and post evaluations of my trades and deals on heatware under the name goober.

PM me with any questions or orders, and feel free to post here if the question or comment might be of interest to all.
You can send an MO or buy through Revolution Money Exchange (you will have to sign up to do so); new members can use their signup bonus ($25) to make the purchase! See my post later in this thread for more info.

edit - this post has been approved by the admins
FUBob
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:39:36 PM by goober »
heatware username: goober

Offline trwalsh

Re: FS: GG Mag Baseplates
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:23:45 AM »
Can you perform the whole service for us, if we sent you our mags?

I don't have any real tools or any machines of my own.

I'll pay you whatever.
Yes, I'd like an M240 please...no no, the other one, the belt fed!  Oh, and while I'm here, let me also get a big gulp, a powerball quick-pick, and a pack of Marlboro's, Thanks.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:17:52 AM »
Can you perform the whole service for us, if we sent you our mags?

I don't have any real tools or any machines of my own.

I'll pay you whatever.
All you really need tool-wise is a hacksaw or something to cut the mag, and a drill. A vise would be nice too, but not imperative.
Unfortunately, I am in Kali, so I can't deal in hi-cap magazines (this is why I got into making BP's for myself in the first place). But if you would like to send me your magazine(s), DISASSEMBLED, I will cut them to length for your desired number of rounds (<= 10) and install a G3MBP of your choice (anodized or plain) for $10/mag (not incl. G3MBP price) and ship back to you. Shipping cost may increase a bit for > 1 mag, but I will have to check on that.
Again, the magazines must be shipped to me DISASSMBLED, and I will not be able to configure your mag for any more than 10 rounds. That's right, 10 rounds or less. If you don't like it take it up w/ our Governator. I have done so, but he seems to think he needs to kowtow to the libs.

Offline trwalsh

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 09:38:58 AM »
Ok, a hacksaw, drill, and vice I can do.

Can you at least drill and tap the baseplates for the cap screws for me?

I'll take two. PM sent for contact info.

I want 15 rounders, but since you're in Kali, I think I can cut the mag and spring myself.

Thanks, Goob !

« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:44:57 AM by trwalsh »
Yes, I'd like an M240 please...no no, the other one, the belt fed!  Oh, and while I'm here, let me also get a big gulp, a powerball quick-pick, and a pack of Marlboro's, Thanks.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:46:14 AM »
Ok, a hacksaw, drill, and vice I can do.

Can you at least drill and tap the baseplates for the cap screws for me?

I'll take two. PM sent for contact info.

I want 15 rounders, but since you're in Kali, I think I can cut the mag and spring myself.

Thanks, Goob !

Understood. In addition to the hacksaw, vise, and drill, you'll want some stout dykes (ahem...) or wire cutters to cut the spring. Keep in mind that tapping the holes is really no harder than drilling them; with the tap set I can send you and a $5 tap wrench you could do the whole thing yourself (I could even add the tap wrench to the order if you want). Or I can drill and tap the BP's as you suggested, and you will have to drill the mag body to fit the holes. The latter means less work, but more care must be taken in locating the holes. PM sent regarding options.
Thanks for you inquiry.
Cheers,
-goob

Offline Tango Chaser

• Tango Chaser Tactical LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
Nice work. I'll have to buy some from you. The center hole is a good idea as well.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 07:47:15 AM »
Nice work. I'll have to buy some from you. The center hole is a good idea as well.
Why thanks, TC...I couldn't think of a better endorsement  ;D
And thanks for coming up with the initial design.
-g

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
PayPal alternative
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 12:43:39 PM »
I'm going to accept payment for this and future trade by MO or using a PayPal-like service for online trade called Revolution Money Exchange. Revolution is not anti-gun like PayPal, and looks to be a viable alternative to PayPal for folks like us. New members that sign up before May 15th get a free $25 credit to their account, which you can either spend or just transfer to your bank account. And if you sign up by clicking the button below, or by making a purchase from me, I'll get a $10 referral bonus!  ;D So basically you can get several G3MBP's for free, including shipping, just for signing up.
I'm going to cross-post/quote a posting by SloChild over at Roderus/Homegunsmith forum regarding this service. It has some good information regarding the service and the intro offer. Take a look and see what you think. Note that Slo's original post listed him as the referring party, so if you'd rather give him the $10 than me that's fine, but you'll have to find the link yourself  :P

-goob

Quote from: SloChild over on Homegunsmith Forum
I've been looking for an alternative to PayPal for quite some time. The problem tends to be that companies either don't want transactions that have anything to do with firearms or firearm parts, or they are too small of an operation to offer security and quality services.

I've finally found one that looks to be a good deal. If you have dealt with me in the past you will know that I research the tar out of everything before getting involved in any way.

They are called Revolution Money Exchange and here is a list of the Board of Directors

Ted Leonsis, Chairman Vice Chairman, AOL; Owner, Washington Capitals
Steve Case Chairman, Revolution LLC; Co-Founder, AOL; Former Chairman, AOL Time Warner
David Golden CFO, Revolution LLC; Former Vice Chairman, J.P. Morgan
Russell E. Hogg Former President &CEO, MasterCard International, Inc.
David Pottruck Chairman, Eos Airlines; Former CEO, Charles Schwab
Frank Raines Former Chairman & CEO, Fannie Mae; Previously head of OMB
Larry Summers Former Secretary of Treasury; Former President, Harvard University
Jason Hogg Founder, President and CEO, Revolution Money
Patrick Graf Co-Founder and CTO, Revolution Money

They will give you $25 if you sign up by May 15, 2008. They also give $10 per referral, so if you sign up by clicking the link below, you get $25 and I get $10 (tool money   :;):  )

They do require your SSN (this is because you are opening an account with First Bank & Trust, Brookings, SD, and it is FDIC insured) and your bank account information (so you can transfer funds).

It is:
FREE to register for an account
FREE to add money from your bank account
FREE to send money
FREE to receive money
FREE to request money
FREE to transfer money to your bank account

They fees they do charge (well, the bank itself actually, and the charges are passed through to you - so just don't do these things) are:
Withdraw Money by Check: $2.50 per check
Paper Statement: $5.00 per statement
Returned ACH Fee: $35.00 per returned ACH
Overdraft Fee: $35.00 per overdraft
Stop Payment on a Check: $20.00 per check

So, if you want to avoid PayPal, would like a free $25, and feel like helping me get more tools, check them out.

Offline mentalstampede

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 10:35:38 AM »
That's cool.  I think I'll sign up and buy a couple of base-plates.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 09:32:26 AM »
That's cool.  I think I'll sign up and buy a couple of base-plates.

Just a bit of news - Revolution Money Exchange is working out fine. New members are getting their free $25, I'm getting the $10 referral bonus, and purchases are going through. MO is still an option for folks that don't wish to sign up for Revolution.

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 11:21:49 AM »
How much does Revolution Money Exchange charge you for each transaction?  Is it the standard 4%?

I'd like to offer another option for guys who buy the AR15 jigs.  I know alot of guys hate paypal... and I don't blame them.

Justin

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 02:58:03 PM »
How much does Revolution Money Exchange charge you for each transaction?  Is it the standard 4%?

I'd like to offer another option for guys who buy the AR15 jigs.  I know alot of guys hate paypal... and I don't blame them.

Justin
no charge/transaction  ;D
They only fees they do charge (well, the bank itself actually, and the charges are passed through to you - so just don't do these things) are:
Withdraw Money by Check: $2.50 per check
Paper Statement: $5.00 per statement
Returned ACH Fee: $35.00 per returned ACH
Overdraft Fee: $35.00 per overdraft
Stop Payment on a Check: $20.00 per check

seems like a good option so far....

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »
But I'm wondering how they make their money if they don't charge for each transaction ? 

Justin

Offline Wulfgott

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »
IM sent for the mag baseplates... Now if I can find a kind soul to ship me rebuild kits or even cut the mags before sending I will be almost set... well that and the lower situation to get straightened out hehe. My Oly45 upper is hard at work right now collecting dust. =)

Thanks to all involved for all the hard work in this and the related parts  :)

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »
But I'm wondering how they make their money if they don't charge for each transaction ? 

Justin
Good question...Interest?
And perhaps by selling your info.... Its worth reading their Privacy Policy and Opting Out to prevent them from disclosing your "nonpublic personal information" to their "affiliates and nonaffiliated third parties"... They make this a bit of a hassle by requiring that you print a form and mail it in. But I'd recommend it if you care about that stuff.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »
IM sent for the mag baseplates... Now if I can find a kind soul to ship me rebuild kits or even cut the mags before sending I will be almost set... well that and the lower situation to get straightened out hehe. My Oly45 upper is hard at work right now collecting dust. =)

Thanks to all involved for all the hard work in this and the related parts  :)

IM received, reply sent. Good luck on the quest :P

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 07:01:39 AM »
And perhaps by selling your info.... Its worth reading their Privacy Policy and Opting Out to prevent them from disclosing your "nonpublic personal information" to their "affiliates and nonaffiliated third parties"... They make this a bit of a hassle by requiring that you print a form and mail it in. But I'd recommend it if you care about that stuff.
Interesting  ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :-\

Justin

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
FS: GG Mag Baseplates UPDATE
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 11:16:52 AM »
Due to increased demand after a long lull, I am out of stock at this time. I am tooling up for another run but will not be able to ship anything until mid-October due to other commitments. Sorry for the inconvenience, but the timing of this resurgence of interest in GG Mag Baseplates has not coincided well with the demands of RealLife™. Several of you have placed orders recently, and I will contact you by PM/email with this info to see if you wish to withdraw your order due to this delay. I have only actually received payment from one of you, and this will be refunded or held for you, whichever you wish.
For the rest of you, feel free to place orders, but expect delivery no earlier than mid-October.
Cheers,
goob
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:14:59 PM by goober »

Offline Tango Chaser

• Tango Chaser Tactical LLC
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 10:00:24 PM »
Sorry, that's not good enough. You're supposed to be able to produce custom stuff on demand with a 2 day turn around time with multiple customer changes to your design at the drop of a hat. Oh, yeah, don't forget at a reduced price because the customer is military/LE/broke/asked/is a big fan/can do it cheaper themselves.

Don't forget to anodize it and include shipping to the farthest reaches of the planet and could you throw in a couple freebies too?

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 10:30:36 PM »
Sorry, that's not good enough. You're supposed to be able to produce custom stuff on demand with a 2 day turn around time with multiple customer changes to your design at the drop of a hat. Oh, yeah, don't forget at a reduced price because the customer is military/LE/broke/asked/is a big fan/can do it cheaper themselves.

Don't forget to anodize it and include shipping to the farthest reaches of the planet and could you throw in a couple freebies too?
heh....
spoken by someone who's BEEN there...
but seriously, TC you & Justin are about the only ones here for whom i WOULD bust my ass to meet those kind of requests  ;D
(and maybe Mark LaRue, but he's not here....)