Author Topic: Build: Walther PPK in 7.65 (.32 cal)  (Read 8695 times)

Offline dumpster

Build: Walther PPK in 7.65 (.32 cal)
« on: March 07, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
I was wanting to build a Walther P22, but couldn't find any drawings or models on it other than the parts diagram. While searching, I came across the models for the PPK over at mcadcentral.com. The entire gun is modelled... but not complete, and I don't completely trust what is done so I will be very cautious while building to make sure it's right.

I've bought most of the internal parts through ebay and e-gunparts.com and started on the slide last weekend. I'm building the slide from 416 stainless steel. I added the side serrations to match the .45s I built last year.

If any of you folks have access to a PPK, I could sure use some close-up pics of the inside of the slide and frame... and a source for dimensions would be awesome.  ;D This is the actual PPK, not the PPK/S which uses the frame from the PP, although the slide is the same, I believe (I'm learning as I go). Any PPK experts out there?

This should be a fun build since it will easily fit on my mini-mill. I'll share the models as I get them completed.

Offline dumpster

Re: Build: Walther PPK in 7.65 (.32 cal)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 11:12:26 PM »
And that's all for the first day.

Offline RVM45

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 08:11:10 AM »
  That's great DUMPSTER. I was really interested in making Walthers myself. I'll look forward to future posts. I have a Walther PP; but I don't have any precision measuring tools; plus it isn't exactly what you're working on. Oh well... Are you going to make the frame out of Aluminum? Goood Luck with your project.RVM45
RVM45

Offline RVM45

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:56:56 PM »
   DUMPSTER I just had a thought today; thinking about all your shaped cutters that I saw at the other website. Have you ever considered using a Shaper? Shapers are supposed to be obsolscent; because they take longer to accomplish the sams job as a Mill; but folks who use them say that the speed isn't really a factor when making one or two items per run. They are supposed to excell at cutting grooves and keyways; best of all; they say that a shaper can do things with a 50 cent Lathe Bit that would require a $ 300-$400 Shaped Cutter on a Mill. Never actually saw one in action. Never heard of same until a couple months ago. Lindsay Publications has several books about how to run a Shaper { And I intend to buy a few and carefully examine them- soon as I get some cash. } There's also a Dave Gingery Book on how to make your own Shaper. I can't imagine that you could machine the Slide Locking lugs on a Shaper- though I could be wrong. Nonetheless, you could do the Frame and Slide Rails with one; and other stuff. I don't think that Gingery's Shaper could be converted to CNC- It has a reciprocating arm driven by a rather crude home made gear; But I also have no doubt that a gifted machinist like youself could figure out a way to make a CNC Driven Shaper if you set your mind to it.
RVM45

Offline dumpster

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 01:56:07 AM »
The only shaper I've heard of is for wood only, you wouldn't want to get metal anywhere near it.  ;) I don't see any advantage a "metal" shaper would have over the cnc mini-mill I have, machining is not a problem, finding the missing dimensions for the PPK will hold up progress. The only special tools I used on the .45s were undercutters, I surfaced all the radii with ballnosed endmills.

I do plan on making the frame from aluminum and anodizing it, if I'm not mistaken, Walther made some of theirs from cast aluminum.

Offline MADJACK

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 03:23:45 PM »
Cool stuff Dumpster  8)

Offline fritz the cat

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 07:28:56 AM »
I just picked bought a WALTHER P 38  cast blank frame from Numrich Arms for  about $16 . They also have p 88 frames in aluminum alloy and some other Walther model  tph. The p 38 s are available in steel and alloy.

Does anyone have any prints or solid models of the p 38 or p88 ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:14:00 AM by fritz the cat »

Offline recalled

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 05:23:16 PM »
I've never seen receiver blanks from them.  Where did you find that?  Can you post the link?  Do they have other types (specifically, SIG)?

- recalled
The true hallmark of a civilized society is not the laws it enacts, but its acceptance of personal responsibility.

Offline fritz the cat

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 05:32:19 PM »
Heres the website   http://www.e-gunparts.com/features.asp?FID=30

I didn't see a SIG . The Walther P88 is pretty cool . The model was designed for 15 rounds in the mag.. For under $15 you can't go wrong. Just need the prints ...

If I find a SIG unfinished frame I'll post..
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:26:45 AM by fritz the cat »

Offline fritz the cat

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 06:30:51 AM »
I have another thread on < http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4528 > About  Walther frame blanks  .

Perhaps one of relatives can acquire German prints of some of the Walther models . I'll check German websites...

Check this out...< http://www.carl-walther.info/dev2/index.php?company=walther&lang=DE&content=service&sub=etz&do=search >
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:08:50 AM by fritz the cat »

Offline jmneissa

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 03:10:04 AM »
Hey I was wondering if you could email me the model you got off mcadcentral.com as I can't seem to find it there. How is the gun going any progress? Hope those chips are flying.

Jmneisaa

Offline dumpster

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 03:18:35 AM »
Here's the link:
http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/files/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=&text=walther&imageid=1117&box=&shownew=
Or search the files section for "walther", you'll need to login first. I haven't done any more work to it, I got very busy with other stuff just after I started it.

dumpster

Offline nikt

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 09:08:28 PM »
this .igs Walther is not real. This is Knall / gas/ gun. Its look from outside just like PPK but internals frame/ everything is completly difrent

Offline Propain

• GS-Guns
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 10:29:35 AM »
I have a .32 PPK. If you need some advice, feel free to ask. I maybe you can see something out of the pics I took before

Guns are like food - live is noting without 'em

Offline Wingman33

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 12:40:50 PM »
i really like this project, would it be possible to do it in .380 or 45? maybe with an extended barrel?

Offline TehVice

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »
i really like this project, would it be possible to do it in .380 or 45? maybe with an extended barrel?

The PPK frame can't handle a .45 cartridge, in terms of size or pressure.

Offline Wingman33

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 05:50:58 PM »
that sucks, a kahr can do it,

Offline TehVice

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 07:25:07 PM »
Kahrs also have a locking mechanism. PPKs are straight blowback.

Offline Propain

• GS-Guns
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 04:43:22 AM »
The .380 ACP is the most powerfull Cartridge I would a PPK build for. Of course there are some 9 mm Para Blowbacks out there - but they are all ways bigger, which means, the weight of the slide is much higher.

http://www.cncguns.com/forum/index.php?topic=489.0 - here you find a nice thread about unlocked mechanisms for bigger calibers.

Maybe someone is building a PPK in .45 - but I would never want to do the first shoot!
Guns are like food - live is noting without 'em

Offline Wingman33

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 12:18:51 PM »
im trying to keep the fixed barrel design with the larger cartrige and smaller package

in any event, the ppk was made in .380 by s&w