Author Topic: AR-10 G code  (Read 7693 times)

Offline Griffin99

AR-10 G code
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:53:52 PM »
First off, this is a GREAT site!  Though I am no machinist, I am totally fascinated with building my own guns.  Thank you Justin for sharing your knowledge and passion for firearms with all of us.  I have access to a CNC machine a a guy that is going to help me with the ins and outs of running it so that I can start making my own personalized guns.  I work with and on M4's at work all day long.  I would like to try my hand at AR-10's and would like to know if you (Justin) would be able/willing to share the G-code with me.  After I get the AR-10 completed (after many trials and errors!) I would like to tackle some of the other projects that you have done as well such as the AR-15 Lower, A3 Upper, 10/22, 1911 etc.  I have experience with contouring barrels, threading, chambering and so forth, but this is my first venture into actually contructing something from a block.  I would eventually like to build my own bolt action, but that is a bit far in the future.  Any help that you have would be greatly appreciated.  I see all of the other things that are being made here and I just know that I can accomplish it.  Thanks for your help, Griffin99

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
Re: AR-10 G code
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 10:40:21 AM »
I'm glad to hear you are wanting to get into machining your own lowers  ;D  It's always nice to hear when my website has helped somebody get started in this hobby.

As for the AR10 programs, I don't mind sharing them at all.  I've attached the 1st operation.  I'll have to dig through my files to find the other operations.  At least it should help you get started.

Good luck with your project.  Keep us posted  :D

Justin

Offline ScottRS

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 10:40:14 PM »
Wow, that looks nothing like anything my mill will handle.   :o

Griffin99, do you have a particular machine in mind that you plan to use for this project?  Justin's G code is way more advanced than mine, so if you have access to a newer machine, it should work nicely.  If all you have is an antique (like what I have) you may have to dumb it down some or the mill computer will choke.

Offline jamesob

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:49:08 PM »
sweet. i downloaded those files and cant wait for the rest. anybody have gcodes for the 15?

Offline Griffin99

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »
Justin,

Thanks so much for sharing!  I can't wait for the rest of it.  I will document the process and post pics as I go.  It may take a few months.  I looked at the blocks that you make and I have a question.  Can they be used in a mill to hold the reciever in place during certain phases of the operation, or do separate blocks need to be used for that purpose?  I understand that I will most likely need to build a few helpers, but I am trying to keep that to a minimum and yet still turn out a quality finished reciever for myself.  Thanks, Jared

ScottRS,

A guy in town is helping me with the mill and code and all of that.  He has two machines.  One is an Okumo OSP700M Mill and the other is an Okumo OSP700L.  I have no idea what all of that means except that they are big (I'm 6'4" and it is big to me) and can do what I need them too...hopefully.  He said that when he got the machines that he didn't think that he would need a whole lot of memory, but now he wished he would have.  I guess he called to price some additional memory for this thing and it is going to cost him $8,000.00!  I guess we will have to feed the code in a little at a time.  He is looking the code over to make sure that it will run smoothly in his machine.  And I thought Artillery School was hard!  It make take some time, but I will get this first operation figured out (with help to be sure!), but I can't wait for the final product to come out of that mill.  I am sure that I will have additional questions, but it is so cool that there is a forum about this.  Jared

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 11:08:11 AM »
sweet. i downloaded those files and cant wait for the rest. anybody have gcodes for the 15?
Check out the link below of where I posted the program and other stuff for the AR15 project.

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=43d0cd976ddc3d5c574eec1fd0468c4a;act=ST;f=11;t=6103;st=150

Griffin99: Yes, the AR15 jig can be used during the machining process.  This is actually how I first used the jig.  After I posted pics of how I was holding the lowers, guys wanted to buy them, and then eventually I added the holes to the blocks.  Just look over my AR15 project on my website and you can see the setup blocks in several of the pics.   Here's a pic of what the old style blocks looked like...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:59:58 AM by jwh02017 »

Offline Griffin99

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 09:19:33 PM »
I just got out of the field and bought 2 pieces of 6061 T6 511.  I am going to try my hand at an AR-15 first.  I found the coe here on the forum and since I have a match upper just waiting for a lower, this makes more sense.  I am not sure how much time this will take, so I anticipate getting only a few operations done this weekend.  I will take a few pics and we will see what I am able to accomplish.  Thanks for the help getting started Justin.  I am sure I will have a few more questions before this is over.  Jared

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 06:01:19 AM »
Good luck.  I'll help you out the best I can. 

Keep us posted :)

Justin

Offline Griffin99

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 06:20:32 PM »
I got the blocks to the shop and spent Saturday going over code with the guy.  He is making some parts for Boeing and was a bit busy today.  I'll have to actually cut the metal this week.  I did take pics of the blocs as sort of a stage one pic.  More to follow.  Griffin99

Offline Griffin99

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 07:28:02 AM »
Justin,

Have you come accross the rest of the code for the AR-10?  I started the AR-15 project and am having a great time with it.  I can tell that I will just have to make an AR-10 lower now!! ;D

Offline cornholio1

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
Justin, do the current blocks have holes in them to drill the front takedown pin.  The pic you posted looks like its a bit too short.

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 01:49:06 PM »
Griffin99: I haven't looked for the rest of the G-code for the AR10.  I know I have it, it's just a matter of getting it all together.  For some reason back when I made the AR10, I didn't have very good house keeping for my files and programs. 

cornholio1: Yes the AR15 jig is a little short for the front take down pin.  I would suggest drilling all the other holes in the receiver and then save that last hole for last.  Then in order to drill that hole, just locate it from previous holes you drilled.

Justin

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 11:09:45 AM »
Here is the rest of the AR10 programs. :)

Justin

Offline gamachinist

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Justin.

Could I trouble you to ask what program I need to open it?

Thanks!

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 03:08:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Justin.

Could I trouble you to ask what program I need to open it?

Thanks!
You can open it in any text editor like notepad or something.

Justin

Offline gamachinist

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 07:49:52 PM »
Thanks!

Offline wr30025728

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 01:29:15 PM »
This is just plain cool.  I don't yet have a milling machine, but I did download the files.  Having programming background, this stuff looks pretty straight forward.

Even so, there's still plenty to learn.

Offline Mikanator

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 12:23:27 PM »
Is that code for a 4 axis mill?

Offline troysk8

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 08:03:43 AM »
justin or anyone i have start to play with this and i am running the programs thur vericut 1st op looks good but second op i and still trying to figure were z 0 is at anyone know

thanks,

Troy

Offline couch

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 01:41:11 AM »
Is that code for a 4 axis mill?

All the operations Justin has shown are done in a 3-Axis mill. While they can be done in a 4th, none of the programs available are for 4th axis.