Author Topic: Sig p250 80% FCU In Progress  (Read 8138 times)

Offline 80percenter

Sig p250 80% FCU In Progress
« on: March 30, 2015, 05:20:14 AM »
I feel like a radio show caller posting on this forum (long-time reader, first-time poster). This site has given me so much. Ok, here's the deal:

After reading posts on here and on reddit and, well, basically everywhere about the desire for a Sig P250 80% FCU, a couple colleagues of mine and I are taking a stab at it. The goal is to produce a kit that include the the takedown lever, trigger, hammer, trigger bar, slide catch lever, and safety lever (I think that's everything--everything except the pins and springs), as well as an 80% receiver all together for $125-150. My pricing is not final and I am trying to make a little profit. It isn't going to be a lot, but this project wasn't really about making a buncha dough.

A bending jig will be made available as inexpensively as possible. The hammer, trigger, and takedown lever will be cast aluminum. If you prefer, those parts are also available from Sig directly (altho they are a little expensive, IMO: Hammer lists for $20.00, Trigger $39.95, and for some reason I can't find my notes on the takedown lever). The frame and the trigger bar are 304 stainless steel. The holes that will need to be drilled will likely be marked using a sticker. My original plan was to have the holes lined up in the bending jig, but it that would require a lot of drilling on the jigs.

We got the modeling and drawing work done by a tremendously talented and friendly designer. Another designer assisted in designing molds to cast the small parts (trigger, hammer, takedown lever) and we will be working to get the casting process rolling next week. The stainless receiver is laser cut and we will be using an annealing furnace to bend the frame rails, the mag well "bulges" (for lack of a better term), as well as the ejector. The receiver will be flat (like the AK receivers) apart from that bending. All of that is pending whatever curve ball the batfe throws our way. You can see a photo of the steel receiver frame and trigger bar (not annealed/bent just flat) here: http://i.imgur.com/D3JWjKg.jpg (Says p250sig.com b/c that's where I started my first thread on the topic).

Anyway, I would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions that anyone has. I can't promise the kit will make everyone happy. Indeed, until I get batfe's agreement, I can't promise the kit will happen at all, but I think we have made some decent progress. This is my first attempt to produce anything of this nature. I just fell in love with the Sig modular design (I know that not everyone did and certainly the DAO trigger has its detractors) and I wanted to help get an 80% kit out there. In some of our less regulatorily-sensible states it appears that 80% receivers are much easier to acquire than 100% firearms. It goes without saying that use of the 80% FCU requires the purchase of the caliber x-change kit from Sig.

Feel free to ask questions if you have them. Let me know if you would like me to update you when the kits become available if you want. Tell me you think I am all wet if you want (I probably won't agree, but hey). This site was my inspiration to complete my first AR lower and, hopefully, I can do a little to help spread the popularity of the hobby. If anyone has experience fashioning jigs and would like to assist me in that, I would love to talk to you.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Offline bean

Re: Sig p250 80% FCU In Progress
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 02:20:04 PM »
Bump, any updates on this? Curious to see where this will go.

Offline Razor10/22

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 07:25:54 PM »
Interesting!

Offline Johnny_V

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:36:42 AM »
I would definitely be interested in this as another project, providing the price is reasonable. Why not start an "interested in" list to see how much interest this will get.
Johnny_V
NRA Endowment Life Member
Member OGCA & GOA
CCW OH & PA

Offline Razor10/22

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 05:39:11 PM »
I am. Definetly.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 08:36:20 AM »
Interested  8)
(enough that this is my 1st post in many moons)
heatware username: goober

Offline Razor10/22

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 01:50:45 PM »
When can I get one?

Offline Q

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 09:17:30 PM »
Excited about this. I was thinking of trying to build one from scrap metal. Keep me updated if these become available. Flats look promising. Maybe you can make them three piece like the iron g lock design?

Offline 80percenter

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »
I received a very thoughtful email regarding people who might assist me in the project and things to be aware of with the Tech Branch. And my #!$@*$&*$@ing spam filter deleted it before I could tell my email program to chill out. Any chance that member could resend it?

Offline DIESEL

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 01:01:30 PM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:07:25 PM by DIESEL »

Offline Contract_Pilot

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 10:40:45 PM »
Any Update's or Cad Files for the Flats?