Author Topic: Sooted up .45 brass  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Baltimoreed11754

Sooted up .45 brass
« on: January 01, 2015, 02:38:36 PM »
How does your brass look when it comes out of your AR.45? Mine is very ugly and sooted up on one side. Don't have this issue with the same ammo in any of my 1911s. My load is 4.5 gr of Red Dot and a 200 gr RNFP, been shooting this load for years. If this was in my 1911, I would say that it's too light of a load and the case is not expanding to seal the chamber and the dark places are where the gas blew by the case. It's not affecting the ejection of the case or the cycling of the bolt, in fact I'm the guy who had the post about issues with the buffer tube being damaged by the bolt key.  Do I have a out of spec Oly bbl or is this normal for a oly bbl,bolt?
" Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Mad Machinist

Re: Sooted up .45 brass
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 07:36:16 PM »
Nature of the beast with a blowback......My Olympic does the same thing.
Rudy

Offline Baltimoreed11754

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 08:55:58 PM »
I assume that the my 1911, being a 'delayed' blowback, not just a blowback, stays locked up long enough to seal the chamber but our Olys don't have the mechanical delay only the weight of the bolt, buffer and spring to seal the chamber. I didn't realize that until your reply. Mystery solved, thanks Rudy
" Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Johnny_V

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 11:38:32 AM »
If the chamber sealed up long enough to avoid "sooting", there wouldn't be enough power to cycle the bolt. This, of course, is just my 2......
Johnny_V
NRA Endowment Life Member
Member OGCA & GOA
CCW OH & PA