Author Topic: FAL 0%-80% receivers?  (Read 12618 times)

Offline BC98

FAL 0%-80% receivers?
« on: June 21, 2007, 09:41:42 AM »
Are any companies out there currently offering 0%-80% FAL receivers?  Every once in a while, I see some on Gunbroker but no company regularly offers them that I've found.

Anybody know differently?

Thanks!

BC

Offline Prototype Services

Re: FAL 0%-80% receivers?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 03:58:32 PM »
The only % FAL receivers I have ever seen, and I have two, are the Century raw castings. They have ZERO machining done to them. They have been unavailable for quite some time.
Hopefully Justin is about to change that.... ;D
Dave

Offline BC98

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 04:04:58 AM »
The only % FAL receivers I have ever seen, and I have two, are the Century raw castings. They have ZERO machining done to them. They have been unavailable for quite some time.
Hopefully Justin is about to change that.... ;D
Dave

Dave,

I believe those are the ones I've seen on Gunbroker.  I have considered picking one up but I'm leary as I have yet to find reliable prints of the FAL receiver.  I believe the Tannery Shop offers copies of an FAL print for sale but I have no knowledge of the accuracy of them.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »
There have been a lot of discussions about this at the FALFiles, but there are no good prints in public domain for the FAL receiver. There are a lot of interdependant machining operations, and someone really needs to reverse-engineer a good one to get usable prints.
There are some bad, incorrect prints floating around, and free copies can be found of them.
Couple of machinists have finished some of those castings, having another receiver in hand, and they report over 80 hours spent to finish one.
This is why I have two castings and got no further with them....

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 06:28:30 AM »
...but there are no good prints in public domain for the FAL receiver....
Hopefully that will soon change :)  And guess where I'll put the FAL solidmodel once it's complete ?   :D

Justin

Offline BC98

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 03:34:55 PM »
Justin,

If you can hook this up, you will be my hero! 

In the meantime, I'm still trying to sell off excess gun and Jeep stuff so that I can afford a DSA receiver....

BC

Offline 300magnum

• sic semper tyranus
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 01:23:23 PM »
Hi, what material are you intending to make the receiver from, and what material are the cast blanks cast from?
Just curious.

I have a couple of Inch L1A1's, they used to be used by the New Zealand Army so they pretty common over here.
Would be neat to convert one to 45.  ;D

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 06:57:41 PM »
Probably 4140 steel if I can find some cheap enough.  I think the blanks are made from the same material. 

Justin

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 01:28:09 AM »
Yes, I hear "4140" quoted all the time regarding FAL receivers.
Justin now has a pattern to work with, so everyone stay after him.  ;D
I am a big fan of the L1A1s, having several, and kits, myself. I hope to encourage anything FAL related Justin does to include L1A1 cosmetics at least as an option.
I know Justin likes the folding charging handle anyway.... ;)

Offline The Law

• Khalan Weaponry
  • Khalan Weaponry
    • Khalan Weaponry, LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 07:56:25 AM »
I don't mind some inch parts, but we better be sticking with metric mags!
Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 04:56:42 PM »
Mitch, I don't mind that at all, as the inch mag only needs a deeper ledge cut in the front of the magwell.
But did you realize the Inch magwell accepts metric mags too? I use metric mags all the time in my L1A1s, and have never had a problem.
But,  I am hoping Justin gets some FAL receivers made to take GG mags and AR mags too. These can be made from aluminum, which will be much easier to work with than billets of 4140 and not require heatreat.
Dave

Offline The Law

• Khalan Weaponry
  • Khalan Weaponry
    • Khalan Weaponry, LLC
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 07:52:22 AM »
Well the L1A1 isn't always a true inch rifle.  Well specifically the "sporters', those were more of a hybrid.  Those inch mags are ugly and I hate that bottom lip on them.  Doesn't work well in mag pouches.  My Blackhawk Urban Assault vest will allow you to hold 2 308 mags per pouch so the lip was a big problem. 

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 03:48:26 PM »
Mitch, some of the "sporters" were mixmasters, I agree. But many of them were 100% Inch, except for a metric receiver. Some of the receivers would take inch mags, some only metrics. Most of the thumbhole Century Sporters were 100% British parts(except for receiver) and built from nearly-new rifles.
But for all of the L1A1 British, Canadian, and Australian kits out there, they need an inch receiver. But as there are only a couple of differences between the two(for the most part), it ought to be easy to write code for both. Might even be up to you to finish them and make Inch changes to the std 10% metric receiver. Lots of people like the inch folding charging handle. The front lip of the inch mag makes the mag stronger and last longer.
I agree the floorplate is odd, but supposedly it makes the mag stronger. At least one country with metric FALs built metric mags with inch-style floorplates.
And don't forget the small receiver cut needed for the FAL-Para versions.

Offline The Law

• Khalan Weaponry
  • Khalan Weaponry
    • Khalan Weaponry, LLC
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 09:20:14 PM »
Yeah.  My current and only FAL in possession is a PARA build from a DC Industries receiver, imbel chrome lined barrel, and I can't recall where the lower came from.  Ended up putting a set of the DSa railed forearm.  I'm fixing to sell the front end I have on it now and get a 13 or 11" on from DSA.  My first was a CAI Sporter and I was extremely please with it.  But this current FAL of mine... I've just got to get it shorter.  I'm fixing to sell my patrol KR15.  So if I can sell that and my front end, I'll be able to get the DSA one and have money for my KR-10 project.

I think a good market would be doing the front ends.  I'd like to make some 16" front ends with their shorter gas system.  Currently my para is a bitch to lug around. 

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 04:31:23 AM »
Ah, I have been doing short-gas front ends. On L1A1s, I go 4" short on the gas system, and the barrel about 12" with a welded 5-slot FH for 16" overall. I'm trying to get Matt at Ironwood to make a special run of wood HGs for me for these, otherwise I just shorten whatever is handy. I have hundreds of the laminated wood Australian HGs and they are easy too.
The metrics I shorten by 3" since that is what DSA uses and has HGs for them.
What muzzle device do you plan to use? And will you finish at 16"?
If you change barrels, you will have to change locking shoulders and re-headspace. But if we shorten yours, no problem.
I built my first L1A1 as a 16" para, and I love it. I replaced the pivot pin on the stock with a stronger solid one, and now there is no release button to dig into my hand. Lots of little details. My latest is an L2A1 Heavy Barrel, but I need two small parts to finish it, and they are few and far between.
Email me if you want, and tell me what you want to do.
Dave

Offline snocat_trf

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 09:03:29 AM »
Justin,
any updates on the FAL solid model?

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 11:47:38 AM »
Justin,
any updates on the FAL solid model?
Not yet.  I'm going to try and start on it within the next month or so.

Justin

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 11:55:27 AM »
There is another thread going about 45FALs in Falfiles too....

Offline whiteknightmedic

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 03:17:54 PM »
Folks and gentelmen,

I am looking for an 80% FAL receiver. Anyone with any information concerning one is invited to get in touch with me. whiteknightmedic7@yahoo.com  ;D

Much Obliged,

Shane

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 04:27:36 AM »
What are those 80% receivers worth now? ???