Author Topic: milling machine for 80% percent ar lower  (Read 7839 times)

Offline heyth33

milling machine for 80% percent ar lower
« on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:44 AM »
What is the cheapest mill I can buy that would work to complete a 80% AR lower? I Would like to keep the price 1000.00 or less.

Offline dropride

Re: milling machine for 80% percent ar lower
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »
You can get a grizzly mini mill for under $500

Offline heyth33

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:36:35 PM »
You can get a grizzly mini mill for under $500
Will I encounter any problems finishing the lower with the mini mill? Is there anything the mini mill can't do that would be easier with the regular  mill to do?

Offline fishfactor

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:52:15 PM »
I've done several with just a drill press with great results.  Recently upgraded to the mini mill from Harbor Freight, but haven't found the time to use it yet.  It's virtually the same as the grizzly. 

Offline StarDog

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »
You don't have your location enabled in your profile so I can't tell you the lay necessarily where you live of the machining land.  Here in southwestern Ohio you can purchase used decent quality mills, lathes, grinders for around 1k at auctions or stores that refurbish.  The machining trade is at a low point and lots of places are going out of business.  Keep your eyes peeled and make sure you take someone who knows about machines with you if you go to an auction.  Craigslist and the Tradin' Post can also be your friends.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 11:34:26 PM »
X2 clone will work fine: ~$500 or less. if you want something a bit more capable, then an X3 clone will run a bit < $1K.
as mentioned there is always the potential for a full-sized used mill in the $1K range.
if you read a bit on this site and others and you'll get a feel for what machines will work for what types of jobs. this subject has been covered extensively.
heatware username: goober

Offline heyth33

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:25:26 PM »
I will definitively look out in my area for used mills.

What kind of drilling capacity should I look for when using a jig?

I'm thinking about getting this millhttp://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand-29-inch-x-8-inch-Table/G0705

But what advantages does it have over thishttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44991 one on completing an AR lower?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:32:03 PM by heyth33 »

Offline AR1911

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 10:28:03 AM »
Mill-drill has a larger work envelope, but the round column is a bit of a negative.
X2 is barely big enough to almost complete an AR lower 80%
The mill-drill is big enough, but you will probably have some setup issues due to the round column. Nothing you can't work around, and infinitely better than a drill press.

Ideally, you will step up to a bigger mill such as the X3.
Used, look for a Rockwell or Millrite. These are  small knee mills, can be found for about $1000

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »

...X2 is barely big enough to almost complete an AR lower 80%...

have to take exception to that statement, as would dozens of folks that have finished 80% AR lowers on X2 clones.
there are ops that can't be done on such a mill, but the current commonly available flavors of 80%'ers do not require any of those.
X2's are every bit up to the job.

i'll agree with the stuff about an X3 clone being preferable, and the of round-column mill-drills.
heatware username: goober

Offline fishfactor

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:08:23 AM »
ditto on goobers statement.  The only place I can see the X2 would have problems would be standing on end.  If you had to drill the buffer tower for example, or the front pivot pin detent.  But these are done on all of the recent 80% lowers.  You can always pick up a drill press if you need move vertical travel.

Personally I love my X2.  It took my about 10 hours to complete my first lower on a drill press.  I can do them in less than 2 hours on the mini mill.  That may even improve now that I found (or decided to try) high gear  :o