Author Topic: DPMS dimension??? HELP  (Read 4678 times)

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
DPMS dimension??? HELP
« on: January 11, 2010, 06:43:05 AM »
Hey guys, I'm about to produce an AR10 jig.  I know I can get it to work with the AR10 lower, but I'm also wanting it to work with the DPMS lower.  The only problem is, I don't have a DPMS lower to measure.  I was wondering if somebody with a DPMS lower could take a measurement for me.  I'm needing to know the step down distance from the side of the fire control pocket to the side of the mag well.  Also does anybody know if the distance from the rear take down pin to the back of the buffer tower is the same on both AR10 and DPMS?

I've attached a pic of what I'm needing.

Thanks,
Justin

Offline dixenormas

Re: DPMS dimension??? HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:41:37 AM »
I have been looking for dimensions for the DPMS for awhile now, like the safety/trigger/hammer/ FCG pocket location. I think that they are different in the DPMS, but cant get any confirmation? :(

Offline VaderSpade

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 10:04:30 AM »
Let us know when itís ready to go, if you could get it to work with the top plates from your AR-15 jig (straight up or with an adaptor) It would be a very big selling point. I know there are others being developed out there, so if yours had interchangeable parts the market would be yours.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:30:09 AM »
hey J-
that's great news! :D
can't help with the DPMS lower dims but perhaps "banned member" can, since he's producing 80's and finished AR308 lowers to DPMS specs.
make a jig that will work for both Armalite and DPMS patterned lowers and i'll certainly buy one (my 3rd CNCGuns jig  ;D :P )
heatware username: goober

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:59:09 AM »
I'm going to the SHOT show next week and I found a guy in Vegas that has a DPMS lower that I'm going to try and pick up.  After I get home I'll take a look at it to see what the differences are and hopefully design a jig that will work for both the AR10 and DPMS lowers and also work with the milling adapter kit :)

Justin

Offline Harley

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 04:01:28 PM »
I'm looking for a AR-10 Upper cad file.. does anyone know of were to get one or does anyone have one they would be willing to share.. This would help a lot

Offline Harley

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »
Is there a big difference in the lower recievers from the angle back to the rad back? and does anyone have a lower cad file with the rad like a dpms .308 that would like to share.

Offline islander261

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »
I want to make a .308 upper to match my "banned member" .308 80% lowers when they are finished. Nice workmanship! I have made solid models based on racingguy2's model with some additions and refinements. The models are heavy tubes like racingguy2's right now as I want to get everthing else correct before profiling the outside. I need help confiming any of the following:

Location of gas tube hole;
Sketch or measurements for ejection port cover;
Verify size and location of ejection port. Any comments or sugestions are welcome. I have attached a files in IGES format. I will post the file in native ProE format for those that want editable geometry as soon as I figer out how to get it small enough. THESE ARE TRIAL MODELS NOT MADE FROM ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS OR DRAWINGS, DO NOT TRY AND CUT METAL FROM THEM AS I AM SURE THEY CONTAIN ERRORS!

I will post a solid model of the "banned member" lower when I get home from work in a few weeks if "banned member" doesn't object. I need to make the model to finish my upper model anyway.

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:03:13 AM »
I have the AR10 / DPMS (.308) drilling jig finished.  The AR15 milling adapter kit will work perfect with this new jig. :)

Visit this link for more details.... http://www.cncguns.com/tooling.html

Thanks,
Justin

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:44 PM »
I have the AR10 / DPMS (.308) drilling jig finished.  The AR15 milling adapter kit will work perfect with this new jig. :)

Visit this link for more details.... http://www.cncguns.com/tooling.h"banned member"l

Thanks,
Justin

Justin, i dunno what went down in the last week or so (was way on a field research trip) but obviously some sort of falling out happened between you and t.h.i.n.w.a.t.e.r. that has resulted in not only his banning, but the global replacement of his name w/ "banned member", as well as other scrubbing... to the detriment of the usability and value of this site's content, including your own posts... i can respect that it's your site and you can run it as you please... but why obscure information/mess things up just because of a beef w/ a member?
here i am trying to click on your link to your product, and its all screwed up, apparently b/c of this fracas w/ Jim. WTF?
heatware username: goober