Author Topic: My .22LR gatling gunbuild  (Read 8161 times)

Offline Pmercer

My .22LR gatling gunbuild
« on: November 16, 2009, 04:48:46 PM »
Hi.

I've been a lurker here for some time but not posted all that much. Actually this is my first post. I've been building a 1/3 scale 1874 gatling gun in .22LR which is based on plans by D&E model drawings and thought I'd share my progress.  I made a fair few parts when I first started the project a few years back, but a change of career meant I didnt have access to metal working machinery for a while. I've now got a bit of a workshop set up in my garage so will endeavour to get further on with the build.  

I've made a lot of the components and have rough castings of most of the other parts. As I machine the castings, I'm gradually going to start being able to assemble some of my parts together.

I'll get some photos uploaded on here as regularly as I can.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 04:51:32 PM by Pmercer »

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
Re: My .22LR gatling gunbuild
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:10:41 PM »
Do it!!!  ;D
Pix and build thread pleeeeeze!
[btw i think Rich (of Thompson Machine) built one of these, if memory serves me right he has some pix and such on his website.... ]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:37:49 PM by goober »
heatware username: goober

Offline Pmercer

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 01:19:17 AM »
I did see pictures of another Gatling gun that had been built on here. I must say, the green eyed monster was the one lurking that day!  ;)

I've tried to post a photo last night but find the attachment keys aren't highlighted. I've emailed justin to see if it's a setting that needs 'allowing' on my profile.

Offline FUBob

• Administrator
    • FirearmFiles
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »
I did see pictures of another Gatling gun that had been built on here. I must say, the green eyed monster was the one lurking that day!  ;)

I've tried to post a photo last night but find the attachment keys aren't highlighted. I've emailed justin to see if it's a setting that needs 'allowing' on my profile.

to add a pic, hit the "+" button next to "Additional Options", then in the attach area, use the "Browse" button to locate the file on your pc.  it is on for every member :)

FUBob

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 12:49:21 PM »
i generally use photobucket or another image hosting site. makes it easy to post images on multiple forums, re-use them in other threads, etc.

Offline Pmercer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »
Ok, here goes. I've hosted photos on photobucket so I'll try and link through to them.

This is the main base to the gun. It's made of 6mm thick brass sheet. I've turned up two collars and pressed them into the base. The blue wheel is a prototype part I made, but it will be replaced eventually. There are 3 small stainless screws in the wheel that hold it onto the collar. This has been sitting for a while, hence the tarnish. 

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:15:44 PM by Pmercer »

Offline Pmercer

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 03:20:46 PM »
This is the screw that raises and lowers the aim if the gun. It fits into the collar where the wheel is in the photo above. Turning the wheel raises and lowers this component if it's prevented from turning.
It's made of stainless. I screw cut the thread to get it smooth, although it doesn't look it. The ball took some time to turn! I've now machined two flats on this part to prevent it turning.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 05:05:04 PM by Pmercer »

Offline Pmercer

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 03:27:18 PM »
These are some of the bolts. I had them cast in stainless mainly because I was struggling to get the lip on the end done where the cartridge sits. These ones have been cleaned up although they look a bit rough still.   They've been lapped into the receiver now so a lot of the cast surfaces have now gone thankfully. You can see one cast surface at the top of the center bolt. You can see the brass caps screwed into the rear of two of them.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:58:52 PM by Pmercer »

Offline Pmercer

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 03:41:26 PM »
Here's the small caps that go in the rear of the bolt. I threaded a bar and then drilled the center hole. I then parted them off before drilling the small holes. I made a tool to fit in the small holes to enable me to tighten them down.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 05:12:03 PM by Pmercer »

Offline Pmercer

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »
Last upload for tonight.
This is the receiver that the bolts fit into. It's got tape round it to protect it whilst I was lapping the bolts in. In the bolt hole nearest you can see where the black marker pen hasn't worn off. I won't drill holes with a drill again now I know what happens. Milling bits from this point on I think.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 05:10:35 PM by Pmercer »

Offline Pmercer

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 09:01:16 AM »
Here's the rear sight. It was turned and then since I had no mill I put the part in the tool post an a cutter in the chuck to cut the notches. I filed the top of it to get the 'v' to look though.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 04:17:47 PM by Pmercer »

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 10:42:41 PM »
looks great!
keep 'em coming!  :D

Offline Pmercer

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 07:01:50 AM »
This assembly is the crank arm and shaft. The shaft is made of stainless steel with the threads being screw cut.
The arm is made of brass with the straight piece being made from one piece of brass. I had the choice of brazing a round boss onto the straight arm but this would have left a visible soldered joint so I decided to machine it from solid. The straight shaft was pinned onto the stainless shaft. 
The handle was turned. I don't recall how it was fitted and I've not got it with me. I think it was pressed in. I think I would rather that it rotates so may modify this at some stage.   

Offline junkmanlouie

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 06:50:50 PM »
I just joined the forum. I have a RG-G gatling in the works. Been working on it for awhile, I also changed jobs/locations and had to put together a shop with more than hand tools. Keep up the good work!