Author Topic: Another 1911 grip request  (Read 3019 times)

Offline snug dog

Another 1911 grip request
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:04:47 AM »
I must have searched the internetz for three months trying to find a file that I can load into Meshcam and make grips for my 1911.  I have tried bmp files converted to vectors in Inkscape.  IGS files, STL files, DXF files, and so on.  Each one comes real close, but I can never get a viable tool path generated because of the odd angles.  I have even tried, and continue to try, to build my own in Autodesk Inventor, but as of yet have not gotten the fillets correct.

I have tried about every file I could find so far, but no luck.  So, has anyone got a file out there, or can anyone point me to a file, that is accurate and useable by Meshcam?  Or maybe g code for Mach 3 post?

Also, how does one get the checkering drawn into a cad file?  I really haven't gotten to the point of experimenting with that yet and hope someone can share their methods and shortcuts to save me a bunch of trial and error.

I imagine there are lots of folks out there with cnc routers and mills that would like to try their hand at making their own grips.

Thanks
Dan

Offline snug dog

Re: Another 1911 grip request
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:20:16 AM »
Thanks for the link.  Now to get the stl file Meshcam and get less that a 10 hr. time estimate for cutting the grip!   :o

Would you use a single flute v type cutter to engrave the checkering or a very small end mill?

Offline touchracing

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:26:36 AM »
The grips I have cut I use a 1/32 ball nose end mill for checkering. Also you only need to go .010 deep.

Offline snug dog

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 09:10:22 AM »
1/32!  wow.  But .010 isn't bad for a little bitty cutter.

Thanks for the tip.