Author Topic: New member, most accurate 1911 model?  (Read 3290 times)

Offline gwarble

New member, most accurate 1911 model?
« on: June 10, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »
Hey all, first post, cool site...

I've been browsing the forum and site gathering what knowledge i can to attempt a 1911 frame/buildup...

I noticed a glaring inconsistency on a major dimension (the overall width of the frame at .762-.005) and am wondering about other things that could be out of spec from the frame model on here to the mil spec...  Does anyone recommend one of the models from grabCad as a more accurate starting point?  I found a few that claim to be accurate to ordnance spec or to Rio Jenson's drawings...

I'll be verifying what i can as i go through the process, so in the end hopefully i'll be able to answer this, but starting with the best model would be ideal so looking for recomendations...

I'm a machinist by trade, but definitely not a gunsmith... i don't expect to build a target gun or even anything nice, but if i can make it functional i'll be happy, at least for the first one... and to mil-spec is the goal for now, except aluminum

Thanks for a great resource
gwarble

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:01:56 PM by gwarble »

Offline gwarble

Re: New member, most accurate 1911 model?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:43:13 PM »
alright, so i downloaded like 5 or 6 other models and found two basic styles among them...
some match Justin's perfectly, the rest match each other more or less.

three of the five obvious differences can be seen in the attached pic, which i found doing quick visual comparisons... there may be other things i missed

the overall thickness .752 or .762
the tail spur rounded or pointed
the a1 finger relief
the ejector hole under the slide position
the main spring housing pin at the bottom back of the grip (sorry don't know the proper name)

I can see the visual difference in the tail spur is also a variance between the ordnance drawings, the rio benson drawings (which look the same in the drawings, pointed spur) and rounded on the frame pdf drawing available here... (though it also says .762 so not sure why all the rounded corner versions are modeled at .752 instead...

anyway, small differences that will become apparent as i make my first one and verify to drawings...

Offline gwarble

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
ok, hopefully my next post will be the start of my build...

and i'm only looking for accuracy, not trying to be critical of anyone's generous and accurate work... all functional parts appear to be correct at my first look through...

so in continuation, and i don't plan to make my own slide for the first build, but here's a similar snapshot of some apparently cosmetic differences between dumpster's and one from grabcad like
http://grabcad.com/library/colt-45-automatic-1911a1-redux-2nd-edition

- gwarble

Offline gwarble

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »
I started a build thread here:
http://www.cncguns.com/forum/index.php?topic=3007.0

I will post model accuracy results here as i discover them over the (long term) project

In case anyone reads this i realize now the rounded rear tang is probably for a beavertail grip safety

Offline snug dog

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »
This is easy.  The most accurate 1911 is the one I am shooting at the moment.