Author Topic: How to get G-code for the 3D 1911 pictures?  (Read 8723 times)

Offline brianklein

How to get G-code for the 3D 1911 pictures?
« on: August 06, 2007, 11:19:29 PM »
Thank You justin for the models of the 1911. I have the e-drawings program and the 3D models, but i'm have difficulty getting the e-drawings program to give me the necessary g-code for me to CNC the frame and slide.
Can anyone help me?

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
Re: How to get G-code for the 3D 1911 pictures?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 05:02:30 AM »
First of all, the e-drawings is a visual reference only.  You can't really extract any usable information from the e-drawings file.  In order to generate g-code you'll have to use the solidmodel file.  What CAD software are you using to generate the g-code?  I programmed my 1911 from the solidmodel file with no problems.

Thanks,
Justin

Offline brianklein

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 08:36:52 AM »
Can you advise me what is the solidmodel file for the 1911(that is if the e-drawings aren't the solidmodel file), and what CAD program you use to get dimensions for g-code ( i have rhino but it is a evaluation version)??? I trying to see how i can get the g-code for CNC  the frame and slide for the 1911
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 08:50:16 AM by brianklein »

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 11:16:56 AM »
Can you advise me what is the solidmodel file for the 1911
The *.iges file on my website is the solidmodel file. 

...and what CAD program you use to get dimensions for g-code
I use Solidworks for CAD software and Surfcam for the CAM software.  Typically you design the part in CAD and you program the toolpaths for the part ("get the g-code for your CNC") using CAM software.  I assume you do realize you can't simply plug a solidmodel file into a software and expect it to magically spit out the g-code.  You have to give it some data, for example: speeds and feeds of the cutters, cutter size, the actual path for the cutter to follow, ....etc.

Justin 

Offline brianklein

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 12:01:29 AM »

Thank you justin. I have just loaded Solidworks 2006, and i got the 1911 frame .iges file up, but i don't know where to put the data, for the Speeds and feeds of the cutters, cutter size, the actual path for the cutter to follow. Is there a tutorial for this program??? Also i couldn't find SurfCAM any where. Do you need the CAM software to insert the data into Solidworks???

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 04:30:31 AM »
As I said before....
Typically you design the part in CAD and you program the toolpaths for the part ("get the g-code for your CNC") using CAM software.
  Solidworks is a CAD software, therefore you aren't going to be able to generate any G-code from that, Solidworks is used for DESIGN.  You need a CAM software to generate the G-code.  Solidworks has a very good tutorial on how to use their software.  Surfware sells the surfcam software.

Do you need the CAM software to insert the data into Solidworks???
No.  You design the part in Solidworks and then you import the part into the CAM software to generate the tool paths, then you output the G-code. 

Justin

Offline FUBob

• Administrator
    • FirearmFiles
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 12:48:48 PM »

Offline Taylor

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 02:17:12 AM »
I use Mastercam X to generate G codes.  There is a Mastercam X training program available from Industrial Press , book and CD for those looking to learn the system.   

Offline azpackrat

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 10:26:59 AM »
Justin I was wondering about using your drawings in a 3 d printer.  I think it would be a great tool for working up prototypes

Offline azpackrat

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 10:29:40 AM »
I tried to download your files but they wont open help please