Author Topic: Who has plans for a 50 cal?  (Read 15905 times)

Offline whiteknightmedic

Who has plans for a 50 cal?
« on: December 26, 2007, 03:46:08 PM »
I was told by a friend that there is the possibility of easily making a fifty cal rifle from a Browning M2 barrel. Is that true? And if so how? Could it's receiver be made out of sheet metal or would it have to be made from milled parts?

Shane

Offline racingguy2

Re: Who has plans for a 50 cal?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:38:35 AM »
I thought about doing this myself, but the $ add up to quickly for a .50 for me.

M2 barrels are available, I see them in "Gun List" usually for about $100, but don't expect it to be accurate...it depends what you want it for. If you just want a .50 that will go "BANG", the M2 is the ticket.
I seem to recall that you can get a Shilen .50 BMG barrel from Brownells for about $300 that would be worth starting with if you wanted it to hunt or target shoot with. The receiver would have to either be made out of heavy plate or machined from a block. The bolt/locking lugs need to be massive to even remotely safe.

Madii-Griffin used to make a fairly simple kit, but the ATF complicated their life and they no longer sell them. You should be able to get plans from them still though. http://www.maadigriffin.com/builder.htm

Offline kcstott

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:17:24 AM »
I too have looked at the M2 barrels and unless you get a brand new one (which is rare) you'll have a barrel that has been used and used hard.
You can make the receiver from plate but the barrel extension (the area the locking lugs hold on to) will have to be machined from solid.
A single shot rifle such as the AMAC is very simple but it is a massively over built gun. There is no magazine, ejector, feed ramp, or ejection port. The action is short because it's only a housing for the trigger mechanism and barrel extension. The only problem I see is machining the locking lug recesses in the receiver. And yes the bolt and lugs need to be large. The AMAC is roughly a one inch diameter bolt with one and half inch lug diameter and the lug length is about an inch and a quarter. But this is one gun you don't want to skimp on steel with. for one it will be stronger and two it will be heavier allowing you to shot it more often and not worrying about the recoil so much.
My reason for building my own is that my state has banned the 50BMG so if I built a rifle of my own and went with the .510 DTE (actually a .500 diameter) I can legally own it and shoot it and not have any problems. ( I really need to move out of here)

Offline Propain

• GS-Guns
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 11:42:39 AM »
Gimme an email address... I'll help you out...
Guns are like food - live is noting without 'em

Offline WRMorrison

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:38:17 PM »
I bought the Maadi plans years ago, but never got around to doing anything with them.  I'm still not sure if I trust having the breech end of a .50BMG right by my face...

please abide by the FS/FT Rules

thanks
FUBob

-WRM
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:53:48 PM by FUBob »

Offline Wingman33

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 01:58:30 PM »
or you could photocopy them, or post them for the benifit of your peers

Offline Propain

• GS-Guns
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 07:19:22 PM »

thanks
FUBob

-WRM

Oh, please excuse! I didn't understand the meaning of wts, wtb, and wtt... Now I understand and know it for the future!

Regards,

Mark
Guns are like food - live is noting without 'em

Offline FUBob

• Administrator
    • FirearmFiles
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 08:14:32 PM »

thanks
FUBob

-WRM

Oh, please excuse! I didn't understand the meaning of wts, wtb, and wtt... Now I understand and know it for the future!

Regards,

Mark

no probs :)  thanks for understanding

Offline WRMorrison

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 08:04:29 AM »
My bad; that's what I get for not reading the rules....

-WRM

Offline kcstott

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 07:32:18 PM »
http://www.scribd.com/doc/4484076/firearms-Holmes-Bill-The-50Caliber-Rifle-Construction-Manual

Sorry for the long link but that's the one if you sign up and log in it will allow you to down load although I have not tried to "sign up" so I don't know if there is a fee or not.
Your results may vary.
Kerry

Offline montanagunrunner

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »
there is no fee for scribd
I have that holmes 50 cal book
but i dont like welded firearms
I like the gunmetal plans better-  sorry no link yet
google it

Offline JimM44

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 01:13:15 PM »
I bought a copy of Gunmetal Designs Big 50, it's 20+ pages of detail drawing in a tube cost about $100.

You might post a WTB ad for a set of those.

Here's a link showing what I am talking about; http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuilder/index.php?topic=6503.0

Enjoy