Author Topic: AMAC 50  (Read 11183 times)

Offline kcstott

AMAC 50
« on: December 08, 2007, 03:26:08 PM »
Well I guess I'll be the first to open this forum
My plan is to build a copy of the Iver Johnson AMAC 50 but produce it in .510 DTC or .416 Barrette. The AMAC is a very simple action to copy and I have a friend that owns one so getting dimensions will not be a problem. Barrel is the most expensive part Lija is $400 plus

Offline racingguy2

Re: AMAC 50
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 07:43:45 AM »
Check into legalities, but I seem to recall that the ATF classifies anything over .50 cal. as a "destructive device" and therefore illegal for the average Joe to own. You could probably get around this with either a FFL, or a special tax stamp, but check into it before you decide...

On the other hand, .50 BMG stuff is getting easier to find, Brownells even carries a lot of stuff. I seem to recall that they even sell barrel blanks off the shelf. I know they sell chamber reamers and headspace gauges for the .50, as well as reloading dies.

Keep us posted!!!

Offline kcstott

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 11:52:16 AM »
The .510 DTC is .50 cal the just call it .510 for what ever reason. Some French guy invented it due to a European ban on NATO cartridges in the hands of civilians so he just shortened and blew out the body taper on the 50 BMG and renamed it. The .50 BMG is now illegal in California due to our Govinator and the DTC is a viable option due to it being a shortened 50BMG and the fact the Ca law says any rifle that can chamber a 50BMG is illegal. 50BMG won't chamber in a DTC rifle. Dumb politicians or dumb lobbyists

One thing I've never understood. Why is it that i can buy a .577 Nitro Express or a .600 NE or a .700 NE. All are center fire they just don't make them semi auto. It has always bugged me that the ATF is selective in what laws they enforce. Politics for ya
Kerry

Offline racingguy2

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 08:49:02 AM »
I've got a H&H double rifle chambered in .700 Nitro Express (it was inherited, I'd never buy something like it), and I've thought the same thing. The only justifications I can rationalize are that the .700 isn't a long range cartridge, it's straight walled and being a custom is very pricey at about $25 every time you drop the hammer. Also, they probably aren't as concerned about the "big game hunter" group that will spend $30,000 on a rifle, and $500 on 20 rounds of ammo, as the para-military group that wants a cheap big gun with cheap ammo that will blow holes in buildings from 1/2 a mile away...But yes, it is selective enforcement.

Offline Kryptonian

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 06:44:06 PM »
kcstott how goes it? :D

I am very interested in this project can't wait to see pictures.  ;D

Are you making any g files for this project I think it would become very popular

very fast.   Soon there would be DIY 80% receivers in this caliber and jigs as

well.  How much is amo for the .510 DTC and the .416 ?  I'm guessing it will be

more than a 2 dollars a round though.   its all worth it though!

Offline pfaff

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 08:24:31 PM »
If you make blueprints up for the rifle, be sure to post them, kcstott.:)

Offline kcstott

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 06:48:32 AM »
Well still dinking around with the design and I haven't dedicated a lot of time to it. New job and all. It's a back burner deal right now, But later this year I should have some progress on it.

Offline kcstott

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 02:49:32 PM »
Well  as you can see things have been on the back burner for a good long time. With having a kid and starting a new job life's been a bit busy.

But here's where I am with the 50 project.

At this time the 416 barrett is the same cost as the 510 DTC in loaded ammo. So why not use the 416 and get better ballistics and a bit less recoil?
That's what I'm going with at this point.
Now for part two. There is a company I found on the web called Bohica Arms And what they sell is the end all be all to the .50 cal rifle. It a bolt action single shot AR upper chambered in .50 BMG, in two versions standard and match, .510 DTC-EDM For states like mine "Kalifornia" and the Barrett .416

All you need is an AR lower and a few parts and you're good to go.
All for about $2000 out the door i.e. complete rifle ready to shoot.

Now depending on how you assemble the lower will determine the ultimate cost but if you do it correctly the hole system should no cost more the 2K.
This at this time beets the hell out of milling my own receiver and trying to cut locking lugs in it. (which is the most difficult part)

If I can find a supply of inexpensive DTC ammo i'll save myself $300 and get the rifle in .510 DTC. but as of yet I've had no luck.
Kerry

Offline racingguy2

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »
Looked over the Bohica, and I have to say, you are a bad influence. I NEED ONE!
For the price, it's worth it just to see how it's constructed!
For anyone interested in a .50 bmg, this is well worth checking out:
http://www.bohicaarms.com/

Good find, thanks!

Offline kcstott

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »
That's why I figure it's easier just to buy an upper and call it good. I can make a single shot lower pretty easy. And because there is no mag well California can't say a damn thing about it. It just can't be an evil cartridge i.e. the 50 BMG.
Now if you think that's bad go the the Armalite web site and look at the AR30/338 It's a magazine fed bolt action 338 Lapua for $1800 You can't beat that.