Author Topic: Rescued beautiful 50 cal barrel from scrap...need help  (Read 4221 times)

Offline latethinker

Rescued beautiful 50 cal barrel from scrap...need help
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:21:18 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
I am new to this forum and am looking for some assistance/information. I recently found a beautiful 50 cal barrel and unfinished Holmes design receiver/tripod at my local scrap yard..or metal recycler as they like to be called.

I would like to complete this rifle, but want to use machined parts instead of welded tubing. I was hoping to locate someone who has plans or is willing to do some cnc work for the major parts of this firearm.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Steve
Durham, NC

Offline Mikanator

Re: Rescued beautiful 50 cal barrel from scrap...need help
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:19:02 PM »
If the 'major part of the firearm' is determined to be a receiver classified as a firearm... you will need a licensed manufacturer to produce it. Just something to consider in case you didn`t already know.

Offline WDI

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:30:38 PM »
If the 'major part of the firearm' is determined to be a receiver classified as a firearm... you will need a licensed manufacturer to produce it. Just something to consider in case you didn`t already know.

Mikanator, you're talking about if he gets someone else to do it for him correct? Doing it all by your lonesome doesn't count as manufacturing right, even for the .50?

Offline Mikanator

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:16:22 AM »
It would still be manufacturing, but as an individual with no intent to sell, assuming latethinker is legally allowed to own a .50, it would be perfectly legal for him to build it himself without any fancy licensing.

However, what I said earlier only applies if latethinker wanted to outsource what was classified as the 'firearm' part of the rifle. A machine shop of his choosing could be used for any other parts.

Disclaimer: I`m not a lawyer, don`t claim to be..... yada yada.... only a real lawyer can give legal advice.