Author Topic: Building a press  (Read 4411 times)

Offline WDI

Building a press
« on: December 09, 2014, 01:44:42 PM »
I thouroughly checked through the reloading thread and did not find this subject listed. Has anyone built their own press? I have a Lee 4 turret and I'm not impressed. I should have gotten the single stage and just been done with it. I have the big 4 for calibers: .45; 9mm; 223 and .308 I'd like to be able to reload .50 BMG and other larger calibers in the same height range.

I have Solidworks and know how to use it. What I dont have is all of your years of experience reloading. I'm hopefully going to put my first batch of .308 together for the range this weekend, that should tell you how new I am. Are there features that you like and dont have? I noticed that a right angle base would be nice. Something that hangs over the edge of the bench that will distibute the down pull of the piston? Any ideas?

Offline Johnny_V

Re: Building a press
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 05:59:38 PM »
For the best all around reloading press, I would go with the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme (or a press of similar size and weight). This press will give you the strength, reliability, and the size you're looking for in all the calibers except the 50BMG. With only 4 calibers to load for, a single stage press is more than adequate. Should you decide to expand your horizons (calibers), then any of the top name progressives would be suitable (mine is a Dillon 550B - just personal preference), and your single stage could do all the heavy work or short runs.....

As for building your own press - I think I would rather expend my energy into building a rifle or spending more time at the range. This, of course, is just my 2..........
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:00:29 PM by Johnny_V »
Johnny_V
NRA Endowment Life Member
Member OGCA & GOA
CCW OH & PA

Offline Johnny_V

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
WDI,

Here's a GREAT deal on the Rock Chucker Supreme Press. If you need a press, this is one that's hard to beat.

http://www.bullets.com/products/Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Press/BL1663
Johnny_V
Member OGCA & GOA
CCW OH & PA

Offline wendellgj

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:20:08 PM »
Hello Johnny, I couldn't help but butt in. I recently operated this press with your "spent primer catcher" specially engineered attachment that works flawlessly and also catches all the nasty primer dust & rust that causes such a terrible mess. I used the (Rock Chucker Supreme) to full length size and reload 60rds. of .416 Rigby. This is a great press and I am sure most high end company presses should be but nothing like actually using one.

I also used the "RCBS Auto Powder Charger" Simply an amazing unit and another item on the old need list.   

Offline Baltimoreed11754

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »
I've never used a Lee press but do have some Lee dies and an auto prime hand primer and have not been impressed. Check out the Lyman t2 turret press. I have a pair that I use all the time. You can use them as you want, single or as a turret, just tighten the support screw up on the back to take out any flex you might have. I've done a lot of mods to my t2's to speed things up. I also was given a 550B but it stays .45 acp/AR dedicated. Get some 3/8 in plate steel to mount your press to ( drill and tap it down) and mount that to your bench, have the steel sand blasted and paint it to match your press. The bigger the foot the less the flex. Have a rock chucker too but don't reload rifle anymore. Good luck.
" Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Johnny_V

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:07:59 AM »
Hello Johnny, I couldn't help but butt in. I recently operated this press with your "spent primer catcher" specially engineered attachment that works flawlessly and also catches all the nasty primer dust & rust that causes such a terrible mess. I used the (Rock Chucker Supreme) to full length size and reload 60rds. of .416 Rigby. This is a great press and I am sure most high end company presses should be but nothing like actually using one.

I also used the "RCBS Auto Powder Charger" Simply an amazing unit and another item on the old need list.

Wendell,

Glad to see you are enjoying the Primer Guard. WOW!!, 416 Rigby - now that's a real a** kicker.....
Johnny_V
Member OGCA & GOA
CCW OH & PA

Offline wendellgj

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 11:49:21 AM »
Hello Johnny_ V

The primer catcher has been responsible for keeping up with allot of terrible mess this winter. I took the .416 along Pheasant hunting last fall and figured I would get someone to fire the rifle for me just to see if it had much of a kick to it according to second hand info.? No luck; dang! I guess I will have to step up to the plate. It was designed as a low pressure round for easy extraction back when you did not want to become a meal or grease spot due to a stuck cartridge so doubt it is all that bad, however, there is a considerable load of powder behind the 350 grain cast bullets. The length of the cartridge requires a (Rock Chucker Supreme) for precision and also to handle Johnny_ V "Spent Primer Catcher". I am learning the value of belling dies in some cases.