Author Topic: Haas TM-1P  (Read 5416 times)

Offline The Law

• Khalan Weaponry
  • Khalan Weaponry
    • Khalan Weaponry, LLC
Haas TM-1P
« on: September 04, 2007, 07:08:32 PM »
I don't have it yet, so this is technically a warm up thread for when it gets here.  Should be here in 1 1/2 weeks.  The Haas rep came by this morning and picked up the check.  Now some of you may not know yet, but we "Khalan Weaponry" has a pretty small setup.  Granted we've figured out how to accomplish a lot with very little (Justin can testify to that).  For the most the only CNC machine that we have is a mid-size machine.  Quite larger than the mini-mills, but just smaller than your average Knee Mill.  The only automation was the table and quill movement - NO AUTOMATIC TOOL CHANGER.  What that means when I was machining the receivers, during the drill phase (drilling pin holes on the side) I either had to change the drill bits 120 times or swap the receivers in the fixture 120 time.  So either way, it took a while to get it done with 30 receivers. 

This is the machine I'm getting:
http://www.haascnc.com/details_VMC_NEW.asp?ID=468#VMCTreeModel

It's probably the cheapest enclosed machining center available.  They do have some smaller mills, but they are more expensive because they are made for fast prototyping work and fairly quiet.

As for the TM-1P that I'm getting we had a few options added on to it. 

- Chip Conveyor
- High Pressure Coolant System
- Rigid Tapping

Overall the machine, options, and $4500 worth of tooling totaled around 46K.  My wife freaked out.  She was like, I could have bought a lexus.  My only reply was, well we can make one now. 

Anyhow, we could not have made this happen without the help of everyone having us complete their 10% receivers.  So in order to thank everyone for their business, patience, and support we're going to do something special.  Not exactly sure, maybe give everyone a gift certificate or percentage off their next purchase.  We'll see.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

Offline FUBob

• Administrator
    • FirearmFiles
Re: Haas TM-1P
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 09:26:43 PM »
very nice ;)  congrats :)  i am sure w/ that auto tool changer it should be able to cut down on time and pay for itself quickly, and give you a bit of freedom to be in 2 places at once.  again, congrats :)

Offline Greenbean

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 08:23:37 AM »
I'm excited for you!  All I can say is "someday, maybe".

One of my customers up in OH got a HAAS TRM earlier this year (the smaller, more upright setup).  I spent like 20min badgering the foreman with questions about it (I was there to fix a computer problem, not mess around in the tool and die shop).

Please let us know how you like it.  I have room, power and desire for this size of rig.  Just not the time, money, or the know-how.

If ever want to trade a shop tour for a good lunch.....

-Greenbean

Offline Greenbean

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 06:37:04 AM »
OK, 1.5 weeks later...

Any updates? Is it installed? 

-GB

Offline racingguy2

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 07:12:45 PM »
I went and looked at one of these, and for the price new, you can't touch it!

I was looking for a toolroom type cnc mill for work, and checked it out as soon as I saw the price. I was kind of leary of the linear bearing ways, but when the sales rep. plowed into a block of material and it didn't vibrate, changed my mind. My only turn off with it was the seemingly complicated control. I ended up buying a Fadal 3016 for $18k and then found out it only had 340 hours of run time on it. Wish I could find another deal like that! It'd be in my garage!

Congrats on the new baby, let us know how you like it!

Offline franks71vw

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:25:38 AM »
Ok, Well I got a mill finally tis a CNC Bridgeport Boss 5 I know I know stepper motors etc the machine though was a good buy considering it came with a phase conveter, computer system for the CNC a bunch of tools, collets, etc I paid $2000.00 for it. The machine was only used to turn out parts every now n then to make hot rods parts. i have 3 phase power at the shop but the day of tomorrow I want to take it home etc I have my phase converter ready to go. My question is not sure where to start to make these receivers now.  I am just getting into this and I keep reading up on it but just asking for direction lol. ;D

Offline kcstott

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 02:42:38 PM »
Hey Law
Let me know how you like it. I'm looking at the same machine. It impressed the hell out of me but I have yet to see on run. They never have one set up at westec Nothing but VF mainstreet there.
Anyway good to hear you got an upgrade.
Kerry
PS as for the wifes reaction they never understand. But now with the increase in production ability you could buy her a new car down the road. They just don't understand that now you could make 300K a year if you took on other jobs and it's all tax deductible to boot.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 02:46:21 PM by kcstott »