Author Topic: XM7 Bullup 20mm grenade launcher?  (Read 9189 times)

Offline Wingman33

XM7 Bullup 20mm grenade launcher?
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:12:06 PM »
has anybody else seen one of these? i saw one on a special on television and i havent heard about it since. A short bullup 20mm rifle would be really sweet. The grenade launcher is mag fed and supposedly controlled by the xm7 somehow. Im not sure how but id love to hear any information anybody might know

Offline TehVice

Re: XM7 Bullup 20mm grenade launcher?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:26:24 PM »
Are you talking about the OICW?

Offline Wingman33

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 08:48:05 AM »
yes im talking about the grenade launching unit attached to the rifle, although its the majority of the weapons system

Offline Majmadjack

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 02:36:49 PM »
I am familiar with the new XM-25 but it is a 25mm bullpup and one mean machine to boot! I saw one at a defense trade show about a year ago I believe Alliant Techsystems, Inc. builds it but I wouldn't want to be down range of it very nasty.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 03:31:41 PM »
If referring to the OICW, it was originally envisioned as a combination weapon called the XM29, and includes both a 5.56 mm kinetic energy rifle component and a 25mm (originally 20mm) airburst assault weapon / grenade launcher in an over/under config. This was later split apart into the XM8 rifle part (OICW Increment 1) and the XM25 airburst assault weapon / grenade launcher (Increment 2), with the full combined OICW (called Increment 3) semi-shelved.
The XM25 is pretty badass, with programmable-fused HEAB (High-explosive Air Burst) rounds that can frag enemies that are behind cover or in foxholes and such (the rounds cost $30 or more each) and all kinds of other various grenades and projectiles it can launch. Yeah, I think Alliance makes it.
The XM8 is of course based on the H&K G36.
heatware username: goober

Offline Wingman33

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 05:04:23 PM »
my question is could one be made in a configuration where it is "dumb" non programable, and fire either slugs or the grenades

Offline WDI

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 10:15:18 AM »
NECRO POST!
Sure you can make a semi auto... anything really. Here's the issue. If you're looking at a build for personal use, think smaller. Building something above .50 cal, say .25mm, is a kin to building a 120 tank gun. It's a fairly simple system. Like building a bolt action or single shot rifle. Simple in theory. But to do the physics behind a breach loaded weapon of that size is far beyond frustrating. Think of first building a 30mm flare launcher for your AR. Simple and elegant solution to the problem. If you want ridiculous bang for your buck, build a softball mortar and play ball! But for all intents and purposes a semi auto 25mm is going to be ridiculously dangerous out side of a full scale production shop, imho.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:19:54 AM by WDI »