Author Topic: MP5/ AR .45 project  (Read 609 times)

Offline Baltimoreed11754

MP5/ AR .45 project
« on: November 27, 2016, 09:19:59 AM »
Started working on a new idea for my 7.5 barreled upper. I really didn't like it as much as my original 12 inch forward charging unit that I built. I'm going to adapt MP5 parts to go on my AR upper. I've gotten the bbl machined for the sight tower and done some work on the charging tube to make it work. Rather than the charging tube floating in the tower as designed it will be a friction fit. This will help make the whole thing ridged. I removed a lot of the forearm hanger and replaced it with a long nut that was turned down and jb welded in place. The forarm will be screwed to it with allen cap screws instead of a pin. I will still have to file a little from the top of the bbl though. I had to drill press/Dremel tool on the forarm to make it fit. I was very lucky as my arbitrary choice of bbl length is just about perfect for what I'm trying to build. I'm waiting for a takeoff rear sight and cocking handle to arrive. The return spring will be tricky as there isn't much room to work with. I might have to move the bolt locking position on the tube forward 1/4 inch to make a little more room for the compressed return spring. I've figured out how to connect the op rod to the handle and bcg and allow for the 30 degree rotation of the handle. I'm not sure about how to mount the rear sight. Figure it out when it gets here. When done I'll flat black alumahyde the unit. Anybody else on the forum done this? I've shot a real MP5 smg but couldn't hit much with it. A very fast way to spend $ but a cool looking weapon.
" Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Baltimoreed11754

Re: MP5/ AR .45 project
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 11:55:31 AM »
Here it is so far.
" Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Baltimoreed11754

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »
I need to alumahyde it now.
" Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Elbryan9

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 09:50:13 AM »
Looks like a really nice set-up. How well does it shoot?

Offline Baltimoreed11754

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 08:06:42 AM »
Here's a pix of the rifle rear sight on it. Couldn't get low enough to use the MP5 sight easily. Added a piece of the rear plate with a cutout for the gas key. Even though it's blowback the key is needed for the foward charging handle. Shoots great, very reliable but I need to alumahyde it.
" Give'em hell, Pike"