Author Topic: An Odd Question....  (Read 7985 times)

Offline Mikanator

An Odd Question....
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:05:43 AM »
Does anyone know of any M107/M82A1 receiver prints floating around?

Offline Mikanator

Re: An Odd Question....
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:20:23 AM »
Hmm...I guess what I need to ask is if anyone has a M82 and will measure it for me.  ;D

Offline StarDog

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »
Not really an odd or bad question.  The most complete listing of files available you are going to find is over at Homegunsmith.  It is, however, a pay site.  They have the Holmes and the Maadi plans as well as one or two others.  

Like tracrrnd said, the only one we are likely to come across is someone having reverse engineered one.

Offline Mikanator

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
I appreciate the response StarDog, but I just need the receiver plans for this rifle because I am going to make a replica. That way I have all the aesthetic appeal of the weapon, without the $200 tax to make a real gun. That and it seemed to me like a simple thing to try and model, I`m still trying to master SolidWorks. :(

Offline Prototype Services

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 05:38:29 PM »
Where are you that is costs $200 to make a gun?
Here in the USA, as long as you don't have a restrictive state law, you can make any non-NFA gun at home, and the Barrett isn't NFA. But you'll most likely have to buy one and then attempt to reverse-engineer it, and not run afoul of any patent or registration laws.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:01:27 PM by Prototype Services »

Offline TehVice

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:10:16 PM »
and not run afoul of any patent or registration laws.

Patent/trademark/copyright laws don't apply to individuals who are making items that are not for resale.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »
and not run afoul of any patent or registration laws.

Patent/trademark/copyright laws don't apply to individuals who are making items that are not for resale.

we've been through this one a few times, eh?
heatware username: goober

Offline Mikanator

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:18:09 AM »
Where are you that is costs $200 to make a gun?
Here in the USA, as long as you don't have a restrictive state law, you can make any non-NFA gun at home, and the Barrett isn't NFA.
I was under the impression that you had to shell out $200 to make a firearm, period. But if I don`t have to....I like that more. And I don`t have the money to purchase a real M82, $10,000 is way out of my league.

Quote from: goober
we've been through this one a few times, eh?

Yes we have....lol.

Offline TehVice

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:17:35 AM »
For what it's worth...

Even if you had the dimensions for the upper and lower receivers - which would probably be simple enough to bend out of sheet steel - you'd still need all the parts to put in them. I don't think Barrett sells spare parts, and I've never seen anything more than little parts (pins, springs, and the occasional extractor) or magazines for sale by anyone else.

I suppose, if you were really dedicated, you could find a bolt / bolt carrier / barrel / trigger group / other important parts to reverse engineer, but that would take a ton of time to do to any acceptable degree of certainty. Then there's also the machining & heat treating and what not to worry about.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything - I'd love to see someone tackle a project like that - I just think it's good to make sure you approach it realistically, knowing what's in front of you, before you start to put too much effort into it.

Offline Mikanator

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:37:57 AM »
For what it's worth...

Even if you had the dimensions for the upper and lower receivers - which would probably be simple enough to bend out of sheet steel - you'd still need all the parts to put in them. I don't think Barrett sells spare parts, and I've never seen anything more than little parts (pins, springs, and the occasional extractor) or magazines for sale by anyone else.

I suppose, if you were really dedicated, you could find a bolt / bolt carrier / barrel / trigger group / other important parts to reverse engineer, but that would take a ton of time to do to any acceptable degree of certainty. Then there's also the machining & heat treating and what not to worry about.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything - I'd love to see someone tackle a project like that - I just think it's good to make sure you approach it realistically, knowing what's in front of you, before you start to put too much effort into it.

I good dose of reality never did anyone the least bit of harm.  ;)   While it would be sweet to actually make a fully functional M82, that is certainly something I couldn`t do. My limited modeling ability, combined with a limited budget, it`s just plain impossible for me. What I hope to do with the receiver prints is to model the external parts, and then make a detailed metal replica, or maybe sell some custom receivers.

It looks like I need to pop down to the local gun show, there is always a couple M82s I could pull dimensions from there. Assuming they would let me touch that thing with a my metal caliper....lol.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:53:44 AM by Mikanator »

Offline StarDog

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »
Another option...  There are several 12" doll manufacturers that have weaponry that are stunningly accurate.  You could locate one of those that would be buildable off of, or even just a scale model replica.  Since it is such a unique weapon the likelihood of models of it being out there in some form or another I would think is rather high.
Also an airsoft replica might be worth looking in to.  I haven't seen one with my own two eyes that looks like a M82, but I have seen a PSG-1 and that is a fairly complex large rifle to mock up for 6mm pellets, so I wouldn't think it out of the question. 

Offline Mikanator

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 04:49:40 PM »
Another option...  There are several 12" doll manufacturers that have weaponry that are stunningly accurate.  You could locate one of those that would be buildable off of, or even just a scale model replica.  Since it is such a unique weapon the likelihood of models of it being out there in some form or another I would think is rather high.
Also an airsoft replica might be worth looking in to.  I haven't seen one with my own two eyes that looks like a M82, but I have seen a PSG-1 and that is a fairly complex large rifle to mock up for 6mm pellets, so I wouldn't think it out of the question. 

They do make an airsoft replica, but it`s priced at $1000+. I`m not willing to pay that much for just some dimensions.  :P