Author Topic: bohica arms .50 bmg upper legal in cali?  (Read 12313 times)

Offline bhobbs

bohica arms .50 bmg upper legal in cali?
« on: February 01, 2009, 01:10:38 AM »
do you think we can get the .50 bmg bohica uppers in california because technically they are not the gun. the ar15 lower receiver is the gun so there is nothing to be registered. that complies with the ban. what do you guys think?

Offline Mil-Surp

Re: bohica arms .50 bmg upper legal in cali?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:22:57 AM »
I think you should move to a state where you do not have to make that distinction.  ;D

In CA isn't it the "caliber" that is banned?  Also, just like full auto parts which are legal to own, if you own a full set and a receiver that will acomodate them you have exhibited intent to break the law (even though they are not assembled).  In CA I would think the same stupid ATF style logic would apply to a .50 bmg upper and a legal lower.

Just my .02
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:57:58 AM by Mil-Surp »

Offline Mil-Surp

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:32:16 AM »
I guess my other question is why .50 bmg?  Bohica offers the uppers in CA legal .510 DTC Europ, 416 Barrett and .338 Lapua Mag.  The .510 is ballistically identical to the .50 bmg and the .416 outperforms the .50 bmg (the .416 Barrett is awesome), so why go for the .50 bmg?  Just because they say you cant have it?   :P
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:16:51 PM by Mil-Surp »

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
Mil-Surp is correct. Our wise and wonderful overlords in the PRK have lovingly protected us from the evil .50 BMG caliber by making it illegal.
And Mil is correct about the other calibers as well.
heatware username: goober

Offline bhobbs

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:10:52 AM »
i just thought i was being really cool and sneaky finding a way to legally get a .50 bmg into cali. isnt the .510 dtc more expensive than .50 bmg? i guess it would be cheaper than moving out of state haha. well i wouldt want to push it because i dont feel like going to jail and being prohibited from buying any more guns for any period of time.

Offline Mil-Surp

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 01:24:06 AM »
I don't blame you for looking for loopholes, we all like to think outside the box - that's what this forum is all about.   ;)

Regarding the .510, it uses .50 bmg bullets and the case is just a slightly shortened bmg case that has been fire-formed to get the different shoulder angle.  If you load your own ammo it costs exactly the same as the .50 bmg.  The .510 upper from Chris at Bohica is only a $50 upcharge.  All in all pretty reasonable.

Having said all of that, the .416 is still the way to go if you want a kickass long range rifle  ;D

Offline bhobbs

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »
yeah thats true. the problem is i dont reload yet. yet is the key word because with obama in office and his promise of a 500% tax increase on guns and ammo i might have to start. i am very interested in the .416 and for less than $2000 i can build one on my spare ar15 lower is awesome. i just dont have any range near my house that is long enough to make shooting the .416 fun. if i get a rifle that can shoot 2500 yards i dont want to be stuck at the 300 yard line at my local range.

do you guys know of any long range places in the souther california area?

Offline Mil-Surp

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 06:01:17 PM »

do you guys know of any long range places in the souther california area?

I don't know any in So. Cal. but I am just across the border in NV.  We plink into So. Cal all the time  ;D

You may have to do a bit of driving to get to a long range facility......but it is worth it.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 07:53:03 PM »
bhobbs your best bet is to go ask over at Calguns.

Offline bhobbs

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 08:11:26 PM »
ok ill check it out. thanks for the help.

do you guys know any good ar10 part suppliers? i want to get an ar10 and can only find accessories or completed guns. i want to build my own lower off the plans i downloaded from this site.

Offline ke6guj

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 06:14:32 PM »
Don't know if you ever checked in at calguns, but to answer your question, If you have a Registered AW AR15 lower, you can legally use a .50BMG upper on it.  If it is an OLL lower, then you can't use the .50BMG upper, and must use .50DTC/.510DTC or smaller.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 06:22:55 PM »
Don't know if you ever checked in at calguns, but to answer your question, If you have a Registered AW AR15 lower, you can legally use a .50BMG upper on it.  If it is an OLL lower, then you can't use the .50BMG upper, and must use .50DTC/.510DTC or smaller.
i did not know that. Thanks ke6guj ;D!
and welcome- great to see you here!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 06:25:00 PM by goober »

Offline ke6guj

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 10:46:52 PM »
thanks for the welcome.

And bhobbs, if you don't want to reload 50DTC, there is a licensed manufacturer in SoCal tht offers loaded 50DTC rounds for ~$2.50 a round.  http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/rsr/rsr_prices.htm

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 11:28:04 PM »
ok ill check it out. thanks for the help.

do you guys know any good ar10 part suppliers? i want to get an ar10 and can only find accessories or completed guns. i want to build my own lower off the plans i downloaded from this site.

i'm doing a similar build on a CNC10 10% lower, will be going w/ a Noveske 18" bbl upper. Like everyone else, they are backordered into forever. But there are other options for uppers, including Armalite (who are also way backordered).  :'(