Author Topic: The next step in .308 semi's.  (Read 3493 times)

Offline WDI

The next step in .308 semi's.
« on: January 19, 2013, 12:26:51 AM »
I just ran across this while I was surfing YouTube. It looks like an even simpler and more modular build than the AR. My question is, why aren't we building these? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm1g--T0uGo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ8Ndkg8urw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcy-v7he2PM

It combines so many camps I think we could all get on board with it. What do you all think?

Offline newyorkdesigns

Re: The next step in .308 semi's.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 07:56:33 AM »
It's not that difficult or much different to build a .308 compared to a .223...You should design one!

Offline WDI

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »
I don't even know where to start. How would I go about designing something like that?

Offline newyorkdesigns

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 10:43:54 AM »
Can you draw? Do you have access to CAD tools?

Offline WDI

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »
I do. But like I said where do I start? They're 6K so reverse engineering it isn't a possibility. Any ideas what that bolt could be? Is it something that we've seen before? FAL bolt using GI?

Offline Mikanator

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »
Looks like an AR10 with a DI bolt carrier. Probably similar to the FAL Para model. That would allow for the folding stock, which looks a lot like the one from an ACR. As for barrel attachment, my best guess is it is only slightly changed from stock, with higher tpi on the threads. The handguard I think just stays on via friction, with no mechanical locking mechanism.

Offline WDI

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
It's an SR25 pattern lower seems unchanged from standard specs; The bolt carrier does resemble an FAL from what I could see in the videos; The stock is a MagPul ACR; I have no idea about the actual mechanics of the barrel assembly, you could quite possibly be right. The hand guard has a locking take down pin and what amounts to a QD lever. Most of the links show the assembly/disassembly.

Offline MoparPogue

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 05:58:31 AM »
Looks like an AR10 with a DI bolt carrier. Probably similar to the FAL Para model. That would allow for the folding stock, which looks a lot like the one from an ACR. As for barrel attachment, my best guess is it is only slightly changed from stock, with higher tpi on the threads. The handguard I think just stays on via friction, with no mechanical locking mechanism.

So I have a U556 by DRD.  The only modification from stock AR platform (granted, I know this is not an AR platform) on the upper is a key way above the gas port to index the fore grip into the receiver.  (Effectively creating a monolithic rail.)  I can get the thread count when I get home to compare to a stock AR, but the design may not require it.   If you look in the first video there's a channel on the barrel nut towards the muzzle.  When the fore grip is locked down via the lever it tightens a rod into that channel.  There is a LOT of friction fit there, but there is also a mechanical lock that keeps the fore grip from moving forward and in turn keeps the barrel nut from turning.

(Disclaimer:  I'm not an engineer,  if my vernacular is off don't take offense.  I'm just here to provide info.) 

Offline WDI

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 06:17:20 PM »
I think I'm following you but I want to make sure. Do you happen to have any color glossy photos, maybe with some writing g on the back? ;)

Offline MoparPogue

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 12:07:42 PM »
I think I'm following you but I want to make sure. Do you happen to have any color glossy photos, maybe with some writing g on the back? ;)

Only my Parris Island graduation photo.