Author Topic: 80% AR15 Lowers - Std Magwell - Where to get them  (Read 39339 times)

Offline Prototype Services

Re: 80% AR15 Lowers - Where to get them
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 04:22:03 PM »
The DSA forging is 0%, as it has had ZERO machine work towards finishing. It is straight out of the forging die.
 The 80% have had all the machine work done except for the FCG pocket and pin holes, allowing you to finish the last 20%.
Billet also has to have the outside shape machined from a block of material, so it is always more expensive due to machine time.

Offline tommyid1

Re: 80% AR15 Lowers - Std Mag / 9mm Mag / Sten Mag - Where to get them
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2009, 12:58:03 AM »
yellowlogic or someone should come up with a magwell that will feed glock 17 mags.  that would be soooooooo nice.

Offline Tango Chaser

• Tango Chaser Tactical LLC
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »
yellowlogic or someone should come up with a magwell that will feed glock 17 mags.  that would be soooooooo nice.

Olympic Arms and Rock River Arms already did.

Offline NH-Moose

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2009, 01:50:10 PM »
I'm not very impressed with my Olympic lower that takes Glock 9mm mags. The mag catch shelf (on the mag itself) rounds off quickly, and then the mag fails to stay in reliably. I've wasted 2 mags so far, and a 3rd is starting to fail.  Essentially, it eats mags. And the last round hold open lever is hoky and unreliable. Much better to find a metal magazine solution. The concept is great, but the execution seems too hastily done.

That said, the Oly upper eats feeds all ammo I've ever tried.

Both of my "c" style 9mm rifles using Hahn dedicated blocks also feed 100% reliably (FMJ) and Colt or BDM mags, the SBR being my favorite at the range, second only to the spike 22.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:51:52 PM by NH-Moose »

Offline mb

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »
I've looked at and been asked to look at a Glock-mag model lower.  Trying to get everything right takes time and right now I'm spread a little thin.  These are on my To Do list, in front of investment cast lowers from stainless which is another popular request for AR15 and AR10.

Mag catch and bolt hold open are the stumbling blocks for me as I want it perfect and won't settle for less.  I've got 8 blank lowers with no mag well cut (beveled on the bottom for the standard mag well) that could easily be cut for glock mags if someone wants to roll their own.  Post or send me a PM if you want to talk about it.

Offline Tango Chaser

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2009, 03:26:26 AM »
mb,

You know manufacturers are supposed to provide every new product buyers can think of the day after the part is requested with all R&D conducted within that 24hr window and priced below mfg costs to include overnight shipping. The part must work 100% of the time for the entire life of the buyer no matter how he/she takes care of or handles the product.

And as soon as you make a part no one else in the world is making, buyers will complain you didn't make it do "this" or "that" or it should have looked different, or they wouldn't have done it that way, etc., etc.

Don't forget that if a customer complains about your product, you must send a check or the purchase price and a new part within 24hr to include shipping. Oh, they will send the bad part back to after they have tested the new part or keep for their troubles.

You must also wait by the computer/phone/fax machine 24hrs a day in case a buyer has an issue with your product.

Don't you just love "Great Idea Fairies"? ;D

Offline IOWOLF

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2009, 03:45:56 AM »
The previous was told in Jest, I'm sure, but is a fact in many cases.

Offline Tango Chaser

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2009, 03:47:59 AM »
The previous was told in Jest, I'm sure, but is a fact in many cases.

Quote was from my own experiences and yes, smiley faces all around. ;D

Offline mb

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2009, 11:43:40 PM »
mb,

You know manufacturers are supposed to provide every new product buyers can think of the day after the part is requested with all R&D conducted within that 24hr window and priced below mfg costs to include overnight shipping. The part must work 100% of the time for the entire life of the buyer no matter how he/she takes care of or handles the product.

And as soon as you make a part no one else in the world is making, buyers will complain you didn't make it do "this" or "that" or it should have looked different, or they wouldn't have done it that way, etc., etc.

Don't forget that if a customer complains about your product, you must send a check or the purchase price and a new part within 24hr to include shipping. Oh, they will send the bad part back to after they have tested the new part or keep for their troubles.

You must also wait by the computer/phone/fax machine 24hrs a day in case a buyer has an issue with your product.

Don't you just love "Great Idea Fairies"? ;D

Humm... where to start...

The best thing I can say is at least I like R&D.  Mostly.

8)

I have been very lucky with a great client base to date.  From customers and others I get a ton of ideas - some aren't as workable as others - but none the less, it's been very positive.  This whole process for me has been a learning curve.  Sure, sometimes you get someone who's looking for a reason to gripe or whatever and two of those guys are still trying to order one of my standard lowers.

Other people are positive experiences.  Some now have that prize piece and are content, a lot become repeat customers and a few offer up ideas that they would either like to see become a reality or have a product idea of their own.  I try to give everybody a little time, from idea pitches to inquiries about what if any, work I have available.

But Tango, I see and have experienced what you're talking about and have been lucky so far.  Sure I've felt a little of that pain (think pistol caliber lowers...), but overall, something must be ok because I keep doing this.  My other business... well, that's another story.  And maybe a glass of bourbon.

For the casual reader of this, R&D for me takes a long time and drives my wife crazy.  Some pieces and parts have been floating around forever and will never make beyond being on paper.  Others end up part way and never progress.  Anyone want to buy a billet lower cut for a Thompson mag or how about one for a Sten mag that's cut .300" further back?? 

Give me a solution to a problem that I can pound out in 24 hours and I will find a reason it will fail before 24 hours is up.  I've got a tub of scrap to prove it.  Well, that and some credit card bills!

Offline Tango Chaser

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2009, 12:48:19 AM »
Justin and I bounced ideas off each other for 6 months before Justin made the first AR45. One of the first posts after he posted pictures asked why he didn't make it fit the Thompson mag. No credit for a product that solved a mag problem for a .45 conversion and used an existing upper and unmodified mags, just "hey why not make it this way" posts.

Douche bags!

Offline ferretface

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2012, 08:44:40 PM »

YellowLogic 60-80% Billet Lowers
Member:  mb
YellowLogic Webpage
i will try to keep this list updated as i get the info :)
FUBob / Admin

Yellow Logic seems to have gone Tango Uniform...    :-\

Offline mb

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 11:11:03 AM »
no, i'm still around.  really.

I've been working on the next gen of these for too long now.  have had meetings recently about actually starting to make parts rather than talk about making parts.  Realistically looking like late December or into January would be the earliest that i have stock.

I don't know...  how much interest is out there any more so anybody interested pm me.   All the yellowlogic parts are gone except for some uppers.

Offline mb

Re: 80% AR15 Lowers - Std Magwell - Where to get them
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2013, 08:45:21 PM »
80% billet lowers back in stock!

I have 30 that didn't get finished into whole, complete AR receivers.  All these are standard mag well models. 

Prices have gone up a little in the last few years.  Same exact lower, mag well still EDM cut.  Trying to figure out pricing... 

PM me if anyone is interested.  thanks

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2013, 10:19:48 PM »
80% billet lowers back in stock!

I have 30 that didn't get finished into whole, complete AR receivers.  All these are standard mag well models. 

Prices have gone up a little in the last few years.  Same exact lower, mag well still EDM cut.  Trying to figure out pricing... 

PM me if anyone is interested.  thanks
those're gonna go quick in today's frenzied market!
(hey ol' buddy! long time no see!!!)  :D
heatware username: goober

Offline mb

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2013, 07:55:40 AM »
Hello Goober!  It has been a long time since i've posted.  I have remained as an occasional lurker though.  PM sent.

Yup... back at it again! 

Also, i've had requests for Sten mag models and the Colt style 9mm model.  If there's enough interest, i will bring these back as well.  Thanks everybody!

Offline RickPflimlin

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:53 AM »
I've seen (and held) all the new 80% lowers from billets that are coming out of the wood work, yours are head a shoulders above any I've seen.

I don't need any more AR's but I would take a couple of your lowers when things slow down.

Let me know if you have a website to look at, or e-mail for contact.

Offline greeekboy

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »
mb, greekboy here. PM sent.

Offline CNCguy

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2015, 07:30:16 AM »
Rifleconnection.com