Author Topic: Choose your poison: What do you start with?  (Read 22546 times)

Offline rman1956

Re: Choose your poison: What do you start with?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 06:04:19 AM »
This is interesting to the newbie. Does anyone have the width dim. of the forging over the buffer tube hole?  thanks

Offline rman1956

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 09:12:03 AM »
Does anyone have a military forging blueprint? That would give all of the basic outside dim. That would be great.

Offline wendellgj

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »
goober alert: there are about 3 doz. folks at the frt. of this post pg.1

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »
goober alert: there are about 3 doz. folks at the frt. of this post pg.1

not sure i catch your drift, wendell  ???
(also folks please realize this is an ooold, sticky, circa 2009.  some of the examples of "current" 80% lowers are either no longer commercially available, or the unfinished portions on them have changed per BATFE "standards" :P )
@rman1956, blueprints & solid models are available here
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:44:51 AM by goober »
heatware username: goober

Offline wendellgj

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 10:07:09 AM »
Hi goober, my drift is pretty bad at times, sorry, I sent you a pm so hopefully I'm not too far out in left field just getting over run with not enough time so wondering if we can direct to a technical area you already setup so nicely. A fantastic blast from the past on skill levels, tool requirements, and you could add all recent updates over the last few years to your 09 work on this page 1 work. These folks need to go to school on Vin Ray, all the "STEP BY STEP" posts on builds you and others have done. They need to watch and practice until they become at least somewhat comfortable. The others need to "shake the rust off"

wendellgj

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »
Hi goober, my drift is pretty bad at times, sorry, I sent you a pm so hopefully I'm not too far out in left field just getting over run with not enough time so wondering if we can direct to a technical area you already setup so nicely. A fantastic blast from the past on skill levels, tool requirements, and you could add all recent updates over the last few years to your 09 work on this page 1 work. These folks need to go to school on Vin Ray, all the "STEP BY STEP" posts on builds you and others have done. They need to watch and practice until they become at least somewhat comfortable. The others need to "shake the rust off"

wendellgj

got it. PM received. i think many of  the "old hands" around here will be happy to help. i'll see what i can do about updating the content here and perhaps come up with some more posts aimed at the noob crowd. thanks for all your efforts to help folks get started on projects like this!
heatware username: goober

Offline wendellgj

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 12:22:58 PM »
I think it will sure inject some exciting times in the forum. I know it has kept me way more busy than keeping up with paper weight ordering. It is all the effort of involved members that really make a difference in their lives. Thank you

wendellgj

Offline Zahnrad Kopf

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »
The musical group Starship once built an entire city using only rock and roll...

Holy cr@p, that's HILARIOUS! My Gods, I laughed for 10 minutes. Thanks.

Offline grog18b

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
So a 80% can be done with just a jig and a drill press?

Yes. I've done a few (more than three...) using just the drill press, with a good x y axis vise attached. As long as you go slow, you will be fine. Always remember, you can always take off more metal. You cannot put it back once removed. I've also found it good to have the 80% lowers anodized before you mill them, that way they can be mailed with no paper, between yourself and your good friend who anodizes them for you. I just had two black and one OD done, and they are sweeeeeeet. Nothing like putting together an AR you machine finished yourself, and taking it to the range, and putting lead downrange. Good post topic.

Offline wendellgj

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »
When you look back at some of the older posts by members and you see they were marching forward together with a spirit of pioneers in the field. Most of you are doing much the same as you are going out and getting your experience, machines, building machines, electronics, building electronics, learning codes, programing, writing programs, finding facility's, safety, learning social skills, sexuality and sex are also important if your under 90. When I deliver hundreds of paper weights this fall you have an opportunity of a lifetime with these CNCGUNS Forum members to get working on your facilities right now if need be. All new technology is built on old technology so the ideas will flow as the experienced and inexperienced mix. I have been tooling with homemade broaching machines for some years now and the renewed interest on this forum has me doing research again. Unell has me considering building my own forge for .308/AR 10 Forgings which I have started research on today. These are new beginnings for me like I need any?

Offline Geezer

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 09:57:22 AM »
Well I enjoyed this post and found Ray Vin book value added.  I am enjoying doing my first 80 on the drill press, but am looking fwd to the next one when I get the grizzly mill set up. I have watched my bro-n-law many times use his mill and often pledged to get one, but now it will happen. Hopefully by the time the fall paperweights arrive I will be better prepared. Lots of great info here and I for one appreciate the forum and helpful members. Thanks for posting goober.