Author Topic: How to Clean those Cosmo'ed Grease Gun mags *PICS*  (Read 13809 times)

Offline AccuracyThruVolume

How to Clean those Cosmo'ed Grease Gun mags *PICS*
« on: November 28, 2007, 12:39:11 PM »
Disclaimer:  This is NOT the only method, but here's what I did to get the gunk out of my mags:

Hmm looks like I have some work to do:

Here's the items that I used: A large painter's tray, a gallon of odorless minerial spirts, and some nitrile gloves:

First step is disassembly. Here is what the bottom of the GG looks like:

Grab a small screwdriver and lift the little metal tab up:

This will allow you to slide the baseplate off of the magazine body

Beware the spring !  The sucker will come out with some force !

Here's what the typical inside of the mag body will look like:

Ummm and nice and gunked up follower:

Springs will randomly be goo'ed up as well:

Here's a mag all taken apart, now where did that baseplate go?:

And now the parts are placed into the tray with the mineral spirits, look how clear the liquid starts:

Let soak at least an hour, longer is better:

Half way through I rotated the springs, liquid is not so clear now:

I used strips of a torn up tee shirt to used like a bore snake to really get into the mag body and clear all the gunk out,
also don't forget to clean under the follower, I found lot of cosmo in there.  Here is the aftermath of the rags:

Mags all cleaned !

Mineral spirits not so clean:

Reassembly time, make sure the follower is pointed the right way, if it doesn't just slide in all the way, you have a problem:

Now compress the spring and slide over the baseplate.  This is another fun part, be prepared for that spring
to not cooperate and go flyin' a few times:

Once the spring is under the baseplate, you can use a screwdriver to move it over just a tad to make it more
centered:

If the baseplate gives you some grief trying to slide on the rest of the way, a light tap with a hammer will do the job.

Tap back down the raised middle flap of the baseplate and wah-lah, you now have a cleaned GG mag.

Reminders:

Eye protection good, both for flying springs and the mineral spirits.  Safety is a good thing.

Might not be a bad idea to give those springs a light coating and your gun oil of choice before reassembly

Work in a well ventillated area !  This cannot be stressed enough.

This is messy, do this in the garage or outside somewhere.

No the battery in the 3rd pic IS NOT plugged in.

Well there you go.  Hopefully someone can find this useful.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 12:41:24 PM by AccuracyThruVolume »

Offline No. 6

Re: How to Clean those Cosmo'ed Grease Gun mags *PICS*
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 02:57:29 PM »
Enjoyed the "how to". 8)
There are only 10 kinds of people, those who do understand binary and those who do not.

Offline TaylorWSO

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 03:04:48 PM »
An easier way is to put them in a 50 cal ammo can, Add about 1 cup of dishwashing detergent(dont use just soap). Boil over a turkey burner or on a gas grill outside. Boil for 10 minutes or so, then change water and add more detergent. Boil another 10 minutes. Take out, rinse with hot water. Lay on foil covered tray in oven for 10-15 minutes around 200 degrees to dry.  Lightly oil and done.

You won't have to use all the rags and thinner, and the mess is a lot less. The only problem is why to find a place to dump the water with all the cosmoline in it.

HTH 

Offline trwalsh

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »
I have a question:

I see that the mineral spirits get pretty nasty. Did you clean all of those magazines with just one pan-full? Or did you have to change it every few mags? About how many mag cleanings do you get out of a pan-full before you have to change it and use fresh mineral spirits?
Yes, I'd like an M240 please...no no, the other one, the belt fed!  Oh, and while I'm here, let me also get a big gulp, a powerball quick-pick, and a pack of Marlboro's, Thanks.

Offline AccuracyThruVolume

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 12:56:38 AM »
I have a question:

I see that the mineral spirits get pretty nasty. Did you clean all of those magazines with just one pan-full? Or did you have to change it every few mags? About how many mag cleanings do you get out of a pan-full before you have to change it and use fresh mineral spirits?

I used 1 gallon to clean 10 mags, the end result was what you see in the pics above.  I would have cleaned the other six I have using the "dirty"  spirits but I ran out of time due to needing to pick up the lady from the airport, so I needed to clean everything up.  Also those large painter's tray will hold more than a gallon.

Offline Wingman33

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 04:58:01 PM »
would it be possible to wash them in the dishwasher, provided you take precaution against you know immediately doing dishes as the next load

does anybody know why all that grease is in there? it almost looks like assembly lube/grease that is used to hold in small parts on automatic transmissions

hmm, perhaps using a bottle brush could clean out the mags without destroying tshirts

Offline TaylorWSO

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 05:03:22 PM »
would it be possible to wash them in the dishwasher, provided you take precaution against you know immediately doing dishes as the next load

does anybody know why all that grease is in there? it almost looks like assembly lube/grease that is used to hold in small parts on automatic transmissions

hmm, perhaps using a bottle brush could clean out the mags without destroying tshirts

Don't do that. It will fill your DW up with cosmo/soap gunk mixed crap that will never come out. Even if it does the stuff will get in the drain, get cold, get hard then stop up your house plumbing.

very bad idea

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 05:11:33 PM »
very bad idea

i was gonna say that  ;D
heatware username: goober

Offline Wingman33

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 05:22:33 PM »
im not very familiar with that sort of grease, but it looked very familiar to congealed motor oil and assembly lubes. And those can be cleaned out with solvents in what basically is an industrial washing cabinet. Generally what is done before rebuilding an engine

Offline trwalsh

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 05:41:14 PM »
does anybody know why all that grease is in there?

When these things were made and packaged, many manufacturers didn't know where their guns / magazines / parts were going or how long they were going to sit on some warehouse shelf. So they pack them with a thick goopy grease preservative called cosmolene. It will protect against rust for many many years, which is good, but you need to clean that stuff out before you use it. It is only a corrosion preventer, NOT a lubricant. Believe me, it's like tar.

Combloc AK's are notorious for being packed with this stuff. Like I said, it keeps the gun well protected, but if you shoot them without cleaning them first, and that stuff heats up...you've got problems.
Yes, I'd like an M240 please...no no, the other one, the belt fed!  Oh, and while I'm here, let me also get a big gulp, a powerball quick-pick, and a pack of Marlboro's, Thanks.

Offline Prototype Services

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 06:18:32 PM »
I'm lazy. I just dump mags and cosmo'd parts in my parts washer and let them sit submerged for a week or more. I might reach in and tip them up or flip them over, then later just remove and blow dry.
But eventually all that mineral spirits needs to be drained and burned or otherwise disposed of.
I have a 'smith friend, who boils everything in TSP. It will remove all cosmolene quickly.
This is also his method as prep to park and refinish.

Offline Wingman33

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 06:21:34 PM »
i forgot about storage greases
well there should be some sort of chemical meant to remove cosmoline
id only ever seen parts stored in greasey straw, greasepapers, or vaccum sealed with lube

Offline rcav8r

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »
Will mineral spirits attack PVC?
If not, then a 6" or bigger piece of tube with a glued on cap would be good for soaking the springs and body. You'll also need something to hold the tube upright, since the caps are rounded.

Offline Jbear

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 03:37:37 AM »
I cleaned several ak mags using boiling water and a bucket. I just placed the mags in an empty bucket and poured the hot water over the mags. Let 'em soak a few minutes and then pulled them out. I wiped them off with a shop towel and then set them on another shop towel to dry. It left a slight oily film on them, but the cosmo was left in the bucket of hot water and the towels used to wipe the mags off.
I tried the chemical way, but it made too much of a mess and wasn't very effective.
I've read of people "baking" the mags at the lowest possible setting with a drip pan underneath in an oven, but:
1. Wasn't going to face the wrath of the wife, and
2. Enclosed heat with petroleum products just didn't seem smart to me.

Others have created a virtual oven using a heat lamp and a galvanized trash can.

I have a stove I can heat water on and a bucket. Cheapest for me to try was the boiling/hot water route.
It worked for me!

Offline Prototype Services

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
If you do that again with the boiling water and bucket, but this time add some TSP, it will remove the oily film too.

Offline comp

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 06:48:18 PM »
If you do that again with the boiling water and bucket, but this time add some TSP, it will remove the oily film too.

thanks

Offline scootnshoot

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 12:06:07 PM »
 ;D WD40..the answer to everything. Seriously, it works extemely well, the interior of the mag is the hardest to get to.
NRA Life Member
Persian Gulf Vet (Disabled)

Some people are alive ONLY becaues it's illegal to kill them.

Offline deth502

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 12:59:58 PM »
i dont know where you got those grease gun mags from, but my grease gun takes round cardboard tubes ??!??!?!?

+1 to anything involving heat to remove it. makes it much easier.

Offline Jeffrey

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »
I use a stainless steel hog trough on top of a propane stove. Boiling water removes the grease just fine.