Author Topic: AR .45/ Thompson project question  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Baltimoreed11754

AR .45/ Thompson project question
« on: January 30, 2016, 06:43:01 AM »
Hey guys, long time no talk. My buddy and I installed the Cutts on my bbl and I FINALLY found a smith that can cut fins on my barrel. But I've got a question for the forum. Can I remove the steps on the picatiny rail on my DPMS slickside upper? This is the heavier style upper. I want to remove the front 3.5 inches worth, just leaving the rear few to mount my Burris Fastfire red dot on. I only want to remove the high steps down to the lower part. I'm doing this to complete the Thompson look. I also want to make a dummy knurled bolt handle to go on top of the upper. My concern is by removing this small amount of material will I compromise the strength of the upper. Has anybody experimented with this?
" Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Mad Machinist

Re: AR .45/ Thompson project question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 06:18:53 PM »
Looks good....as long as you don't cut into the channel for the charging handle you should be fine......from the base of the lower to the bottom of the pocket is 1.665 +.010/-.000 I'm certiain you could cut to the bottom of the slots and then square it off......

Offline Baltimoreed11754

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 08:35:13 AM »
The build is finally finished. The cutts and fins look good. But, always the but, I have to get my metal parts anodized and the stock and grigs finished to match each other better. I shot it yesterday and zeroed in the Burris. I can't decide if I like the vertical or horizontal foregrip better. The buttstock is a little long so I will have to shorten it an inch or so. Will post photos when complete.
" Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 01:22:14 PM »
Excuses excuses....LOL...we wanna see it...in the white is fine....... ;D

Offline Baltimoreed11754

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 11:12:30 AM »
Here's what I've got done. I can't decide on which foregrip to use though and where to put it. The vertical grip feels best all the way back while the horizontal grip is fine ahead of the bbl nut. Also imagine the bbl nut covered with black anodized aluminum and the gripmount made of black steel. Take a look and you tell me what you like.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:33:03 PM by Baltimoreed11754 »
" Give'em hell, Pike"