Author Topic: AR45 Slam Fire  (Read 2169 times)

Offline longgar

AR45 Slam Fire
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:31:12 AM »
AR-45 SLAM FIRE W/ UNDERWOOD 45 SUPER: http://youtu.be/ROZi0wJxRK8

I know I will probably be  labeled ignorant... but I'm posting this in hope of saving someone (like me) , worst case scenario, from getting hurt or hurting somebody,  and the least, from being in a scary situation.

I know (now)the AR platform was designed to feed from a magazine and there by slowing down the bolt, and in addition, the free floating firing pin, preventing this "Slam-Fire" situation.

I just had never heard of anything like that, and as you can imagine, was shocked..

Still a little wiereded out knowing that everytime I cycle a round, that firing pin is hitting that primer.. 😓

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 07:08:56 PM by longgar »

Offline DaddyWilson

Re: AR45 Slam Fire
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 01:56:29 AM »
People should definitely be aware of this. You're not the first and wont be the last to place a round directly into the chamber. Hopefully this saves someone from a far more serious experience.

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 09:19:49 PM »
I'm convinced it is an ammunition issue.....I tried with 10 different brands of ammo.....factory and commercial reloads and could not duplicate the problem.......over a sample of 200 chamberings.....and tried with the same round several time 10 times in a row.....

Offline DaddyWilson

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 10:35:43 PM »
Very probable, but know matter what the cause, it's a critical reminder that we should be extremely cautious when charging. Especially when a platform has a free floating firing pin. His experience definitely put me on alert with all of my firearms. Who knows when another faulty cartridge may come into play or if fouling causes the firing pin to to stick in the forward position. Maybe a deadly combo of both. Just to be clear, I've discussed the scenario and followup testing with Longgar. From what I can tell, I do not believe it's a flaw/issue with your upper. I've seen videos involving similar issues over other platforms.  :)

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:07:11 PM »
Couldn't agree more, didn't mean to sound like I took offense. I'm with you, firearms safety is something we should all be vigilant about at all times.
Rudy

Offline longgar

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 11:07:58 PM »
Yes, I concur with Wilson. I was not implying that the upper was some how to blame. My only reason for taking the time to make the youtube video and do the testing was to see if it would occur on other ammo types.
And As Mad Machinist had told me prior, ..to test/R&D my upper with the .45 Super round, that's what I was doing.

RESULTS:  UNDERWOOD .45 SUPER 230GR FMJs will SLAM FIRE A LOT OF THE TIME IN THIS PLATFORM, IF FEED IN THE CHAMBER BY HAND, AND, DROPPING THE SLIDE/BOLT ON THE ROUND VS doing it the correct way. WHICH IS LETTING IT BE STRIPPED OFF THE MAGAZINE.

JUST A LITTLE WARNING FOR ANYBODY ELSE USING UNDERWOOD AMMO and are thinking about dropping one directly into the chamber.. ;-)

(Now, if only I can get a "SUPER" / beefy gas block and Long stainless screws to clamp it down with )  ;-)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:22:33 PM by longgar »

Offline DaddyWilson

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 11:18:04 PM »
No worries. You didn't come off as taking offense. I just wanted to clarity to you and any other readers that I wasn't implying anything negative regarding your upper. I know how easily things can be taken out of context. lol