Author Topic: Extra buffers springs in a AR .45  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Baltimoreed11754

Extra buffers springs in a AR .45
« on: February 05, 2015, 07:44:58 PM »
Has anyone in the forum experimented with extra springs, in addition to the buffer spring, to smooth out the bolt movement and protect the lower from damage? Today I tried out my idea using 3 springs, one inside the others, inside of two 12 ga shotgun shells. This unit is about the same size as and replaces my delron spacer. I may try to run a guide through the center of the unit to keep the springs straight as they compress. Fired the gun and I can actually feel an improvement, it seems to dampen the bolt/ buffer/ recoil inertia and calms the rifle down. Need to refine it some more. I would appreciate any input from you guys.
" Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline 45zring

Re: Extra buffers springs in a AR .45
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 05:06:25 PM »
I'll give you points for novelty!

What kind of upper and buffer are you using?

When I had my Olympic upper I used a Wolff x-tra power spring and a very heavy solid buffer.  The spring helped with the recoil but the buffer was most important, I think, because it helped delay blow-back in addition to reducing the recoil impulse.  It worked well for me.
Spes non consilium est!

Offline Baltimoreed11754

Re: Extra buffers springs in a AR .45
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »
If you jump over to the Olympic Arms website OA2.org and look at the pistol cal AR section you will see my thread about this. The pix is my unit that I'm experimenting with. Thanks for inquiring.
" Give'em hell, Pike"