Author Topic: Datum Gear: A scathing review  (Read 5812 times)

Offline BotSteve40

Datum Gear: A scathing review
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:51:33 PM »
So, i bought a datum gear carbine kit for $1200.  For those of you who dont know, its an 80% lower + all the other parts you need to build a complete carbine.  Now that mine is finished and tested, I feel I need to warn people to stay away from this company.  All these images show wear after about 100 rounds.

First let me start by saying when i got the jig, it was missing the bolts and cotter pins it was supposed to come with.  I ended up taking a trip to home depot to buy these parts myself.  Right there was the first bad sign.

Next i noticed the anodizing on the upper receiver was VERY thin.  To the point where you could scratch it off with a car key.  This is obviously not a type 3 hardcoat.  Also there was plenty of machine chatter on the inside of this part.

Then there are chips of steel coming off the bolt carrier group and the finish on that is wearing away much faster than expected.  On the top right of this part the finish is basically gone and the anodizing is also completely scraped off on the part of the upper reciever that this spot rubs against.  Clearly these poorly machined parts don't fit very well together

Also, the included sling mount is GARBAGE considering how this little ball bearing just broke right out of it:

But I still haven't gotten to the worst part.  The first time i take my rifle to the range, I pull the trigger once, it fires once, and then immediately it jams.  It does this about 10 times in a row.  It turns out that this was because the disconnecter spring was much smaller than what it is supposed to be.  On the bottom is the disconnecter spring supplied from datum gear. On the top is the replacement i got from the local gun shop.  as you can see, the defective one from datum gear is not even CLOSE to what it is supposed to be.

So, that is all for my first post.  I just felt the need to warn people since i could not find any datum gear reviews online.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
Re: Datum Gear: A scathing review
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 05:37:22 PM »
Wow, for $1200 one should expect some pretty high-end parts, considering one can easily find a fully built upper, LPK, and stock for < $800...
Is the 80% "billet" or something?
Anyway, thanks for the review. Forewarned is forearmed... Which can make finding shirts a bi@tch :D
i keed, i keed... :D

ETA: i looked at their site and their "weekend build" carbine kit is only $800... Where did you find a kit for $1200?  ???
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:41:59 PM by goober »
heatware username: goober

Offline BotSteve40

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:47:44 PM »
$1200 was the price 6 months ago when I bought mine.  Back then it came with a 6061 aluminum billet lower. But since then, they have lowered the price and included a plastic lower receiver instead.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »
$1200 was the price 6 months ago when I bought mine.  Back then it came with a 6061 aluminum billet lower. But since then, they have lowered the price and included a plastic lower receiver instead.

makes sense. what'dya think of their jig? looks decent... nothing original there but seems like it should work OK, if its in spec.
heatware username: goober

Offline BotSteve40

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 10:25:39 AM »
The jig was perfectly in spec. It seemed to be made out of the same 6061 aluminum as the lower receiver itself and it was actually machined to a higher quality than the lower receiver I would say.  If you use their jig, make sure you do not remove the side plates until you are 100% done with all the machining. Since it aligns on one side only, the alignment will be off if aluminum bits get underneath those plates. That's not a problem as long as you keep them fastened tightly until you are done.