Author Topic: Troubleshooting CNC AR45 Lower with Macon Armory Upper.  (Read 4245 times)

Offline longgar

Troubleshooting CNC AR45 Lower with Macon Armory Upper.
« on: August 14, 2014, 03:25:17 PM »
Is there anybody out there that can give me some pointers on troubleshooting my feeding plroblems?

Im guessing the magazines may be the problem since everyone says you have to do all kinds of mods to get them to work.

SPREAD THE FEED LIPS WITH PLIERS, SQUEEZE THE SIDES AND FRONT WITH A VISE... etc

I have 5 new mags from Keepshooting.com but im having the same issue with all of them... I tried doing the above mods/jerry rigging but it didnt help.. 

Is there anything else to troubleshoot or should I just keep buying more mags?  Anybody wamt to sell me one that they know works well?  That would help me eliminate one variable..

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:46:08 PM by longgar »

Offline Mad Machinist

Re: Troubleshooting CNC AR45 Lower with Macon Armory Upper.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
Spreading the feed lips in the front is not the soloution.....make sure you can see the primer in the back of the mag and CLOSE the feed lips so they control the round almost all the way out of the mag....spreading the feed lips can let the bolt force the nose up into the gap between the breech of the barrel and the locking lugs...as we discussed in your email....if this dosen't work....just send me the mags and the upper and I'll tune them (the mags) for you and test fire them. I have no doubt it is a mag issue as your upper was personally test fired by me...... ;D as are all of them I ship. 8)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:07:08 PM by Mad Machinist »

Offline longgar

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:22:18 PM »
Thanks, Rudy you have been great to deal with from before I decided to purchase your upper, all the way until now. You have alway been VERY friendly and quick to reply to all my questions and concerns.

I will try your suggestions. It sounds like you described my problem exactly.
The bullet is getting lodged above the breach/barrel and the upper reciever area..
I will close the gap and adjust it to where I can just see the primer and go from there.

Thx again!

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 06:35:53 PM »
No problem.....glad you asked the question here...I want to squash the mistaken notion of spreading the feed lips at the front......feed ramps on my uppers are all cut on a CNC so are consistent from upper to upper.....and designed for a controlled feed........so for anyone having a similiar issue.....if it is a Macon Armory....don't spread the front of the lips... ;D

Just for giggles the other day we took one upper and ran it on a CNC lower, a BAZ45 lower, a Cav Arms lower, a DDLES large frame with a Korean mag and a standard lower with a USC adaptor ............all with no malfunctions......

Offline longgar

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »
X
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:05:03 AM by longgar »

Offline longgar

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 01:48:58 AM »
Well, I tried to pinch, squeeze,  mash, squish,  and vise these magazines all while holding my tongue in different direction in and out of my mouth.. . I got one mashed just right to where it would feed properly but then I had to slam the mag in and pull like hell to get it out. So, I mashed it a little more and it would go in and out fine but then it quit feeding properly.. 

I must say/suggest something to CNC Justin..  Why not sell magazines pre-formed that will work reliably for your lower? This seems like a huge turnoff for anybody considering buying / building an AR45 lower that takes GG magazine.. .

Rudy, I will be taking you up on your offer to shape / tune my mags.. I will ship them out today with a prepaid return shipping label and a little something for your troubles. I just hope I can get this thing running reliably. .

Gary
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:43:10 AM by longgar »

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 04:42:47 AM »
Shipping label is plenty,  ;D  and to fit the mags to the lower should require nothing more than a gentle front to rear squeeze. There were a couple of lowers that got out with too large a radius in the magwell due to what I assume was tool wear on the CNC. If that is the case Justin will happily replace it with another. Give me a shout at the office this morning after 9 AM eastern if you can, 478 474-2990. No need to be upset, this is not an insurmountable problem. ;D
We WILL get you shooting. ;D
Rudy
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:45:26 AM by Mad Machinist »

Offline longgar

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:08:04 PM »
Thanks Rudy (Mad Machinist) you have exceeded all my expectations. Im a very happy camper/shooter.

Offline 45zring

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 04:34:03 PM »
Owning, or having owned, CavArms lowers, a couple of CNCGuns lowers, a couple of Rudy's uppers, some Olympic uppers, and used them all in various combinations; my [professional] advice is to avoid those KeepShooting magazines.  The GI surplus ones fit better and run more reliably.  Right now I'm running a CNCGuns lower, one of Rudy's uppers, and a slew of GI mags (parked and blued Guide Lamps) and couldn't be happier.  Gun runs like a champ, mags drop out easily, and I haven't had to squeeze them in a vise or fiddle with the feed lips.

You know, the whole promise (and premise) of this endeavor was that you'd get a gun that ran on easily obtainable surplus magazines.  The KeepShooting mags are not that.  Especially the ones with the thick "Teflon" coating.  They're out of spec and that's that.

In any case, +1 for Rudy. Great guy to do business with.
Spes non consilium est!

Offline longgar

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »
Thanks man, I will order new mags right now.