Author Topic: AR45 with DI upper  (Read 28835 times)

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
AR45 with DI upper
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:52:51 AM »
Here is my latest build.  The upper is a DI upper from Quality Machine aka "Mad Machinist".....the lower is of course the AR45  ;D  And the handle is the A1 carry handles I sell.

The upper is really nice quality.  I've shot over 100 round through her so far and only had a couple failure to feeds but I think it's because I was trying to use up some really cheap ammo I had laying around.

Contact Rudy @ Quality Machine for pricing and availability.....  qualitymachine@bellsouth.net

Justin

Offline TN-MadDog

Re: AR45 with DI upper
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:20:11 PM »
Man, that is nice. Where can you get a lower like that???   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:25:34 AM »
Just let me know...I have bolts barrels and uppers in stock.....just waiting for you to spec it out... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ron458

• 07FFL 02/SOT
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 07:11:40 AM »
Just let me know...I have bolts barrels and uppers in stock.....just waiting for you to spec it out... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ditto, I have everything in stock.

Offline wendellgj

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Am I correct thinking both Mad Machinist and Ron 458 have AR 45 DI upper parts? Pro's and con's of either DI or blowback not so much concerned with but favor DI and really need some help on the complete DI upper. Does the upper design favor a specific magazine. Please send a PM so I can get this figured out or maybe there is a lurker wanting a little info. from the forum?

WGJ

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:48:29 PM »
Ask away.....I prefer the DI as it runs cleaner, has almost no recoil, and eliminates the possibility of out of battery discharge, and while I do build a mag well adaptor for uzi mags.....I greatly prefer the AR45 lower as it uses unmodified magazines.......and has greater mag capacity, as the only readily available Uzi .45 mags are 10 round and far less substantial than even the worst commercial M3 Grease gun magazines. I can't speak for anyone else but I maintain the integrity of the locking lugs on the uppers I produce and tune each upper to run specifically with the AR45 lower.......each upper is built to customer order  after discussing what is desired...I am currently building a supressed AR45, a wood stocked AR45, a 9 inch barreled pistol upper with a 4 inch buffer, and three other 16 inch uppers with mid length free floated rails.....tell me what you want and I'll do my best to find a solution.

If you are a builder, and understand that a certian amount of tuning and and troublshooting ability are required to produce a reliable functional gun.....I will be happy to offer parts completed to what ever level the builder desires....and provide limited advice and assistance.....can't spoon feed all the tricks and details...I do pay my bills with these...... ;D but if you ask a specific question, I'm not gonna blow ya off ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:40:46 AM by Mad Machinist »

Offline Ron458

• 07FFL 02/SOT
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:25:51 AM »
The DI system does run cleaner. I am going to test an improvement to my system to make it run cleaner than before ;D

Dedicated lowers are great. They use stock GG mags. No brainer.

I mod GG mags(28rnds) to fit in std lowers if you dont want to invest in a dedicated lower. 2 versions ;D These are also a plus if you already have an SBR.

I dont compromise the the brl extension. For some reason this keeps comming up :(

My uppers work with stock lowers. No need to remove the weights of the buffer & cut down buffer springs.
Cant say that for everyone else ::)

I did design/build the first purchaseable DI45 upper. All the rest are clones(well, if they ran on a stock lower ::))

I have an upper are in use with a Texas SRT unit 8) With more to come ;D

My base upper is $700. This can include a YHM free float rail :o

I have an interview with the ATF this AM.
More later.

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
I dont compromise the the brl extension. For some reason this keeps comming up :(

Never said you did...but I have seen some out there with all the lugs on the bottom of the extension missing having been sacrificed for a feedramp.....

Offline Ron458

• 07FFL 02/SOT
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:03:49 AM »

Never said you did...but I have seen some out there with all the lugs on the bottom of the extension missing having been sacrificed for a feedramp.....

Thats the guy from AR15. Could not believe he did that but also unaware of him selling any either. Remember his video had 4 failures in as many rounds. He did pick up one of my uppers used so he may have it figured out by now.
On a side note, my 07FFL is complete. Next SOT.

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 05:28:21 PM »
Congrats....... ;D....And back to the original topic of the thread.....I'm still building these to order and this was originally an endorsement of my uppers by the owner of this site..... ;D feel free to contact me at qualitymachine@bellsouth.net with any questions you may have concerning my products.

Offline goober

• goober on heatware
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:21:46 PM »
Not to discourage friendly and constructive discussion of DI AR45 designs, but....
I believe this WAS a thread about Rudy's product. Common courtesy and respect to fellow designer/builder/vendor should be observed here.
If anyone would like to direct attention to their own product, a short post with a link might be preferable to a full-on pitch. In fact, some would even see posting a link as thread-crapping, but we're all friends here...

Look, I'm not a mod, and am just voicing my opinion, which doesn't necessarily mean squat here. I'm sure both products are awesome and wish both designer/vendors great success. I think both can reach that goal without stepping on each other. So let's do!  :D
heatware username: goober

Offline wendellgj

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 08:06:19 AM »
Hello, both have given me much to think about. Each will hear from me although WWW is taking a download and not much good. Who knows; I might get parts and help from each of you with different AR 45 platforms plus we need to build a couple 9mm's. It is great having pioneers who obviously feel confident about their product.

WGJ 

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 06:37:55 PM »
Look forward to hearing from you....and 9mm is definitly doable....converting a friends blowback SBR Supressed to DI as we speak...... can't wait for him to bring all the bits and pieces back to test fire it....just curious, which AR45 lower do you have, one of the Kahlan, a Thompson Machine or one of Justin's 100%? I personally have one of each of the first two.....and have built a bunch of the latter....looking forward to getting one ot Justins ....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 06:42:40 PM by Mad Machinist »

Offline Ron458

• 07FFL 02/SOT
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 07:32:06 AM »
Am I correct thinking both Mad Machinist and Ron 458 have AR 45 DI upper parts? Pro's and con's of either DI or blowback not so much concerned with but favor DI and really need some help on the complete DI upper. Does the upper design favor a specific magazine. Please send a PM so I can get this figured out or maybe there is a lurker wanting a little info. from the forum?

WGJ
This gentleman asked a Q in a year old thread. Since your upper was the original topic in this thread we are getting off topic? Nice that you can go off topic ::)
Look forward to hearing from you....and 9mm is definitly doable....converting a friends blowback SBR Supressed to DI as we speak...... can't wait for him to bring all the bits and pieces back to test fire it....
wendellgj, you may want to start a seperate thread.

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »
But still the only officially endorsed upper of CNC guns.... ;D

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 05:43:01 AM »
accidental post

Offline wendellgj

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
I will start a new thread for my AR 45 project using field proven parts and techniques from mostly individuals on this site. Thank you.

WGJ

Offline 45zring

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 02:24:27 PM »
This is Charlotte and this is a picture of her first trip to the range.  The lower is an AR45 finished by Nick Hope at Rock Creek Gun Service.  The suppressor is his also.  The upper is a DI with 11.5" barrel by MadMachinist.  I wanted to second Justin's sentiments regarding MadMachinist's work and add that he also provides excellent customer service.  He's a real good guy to work with.  Nick, too.  

Even with the suppressor she is shorter over-all than a 20" AR, is relatively quiet, and weighs only about 8 pounds empty.  She is shockingly accurate (noticeably better than any Oly upper I ever had) and she's also trustworthy now that I have the magazines figured out (KoKodog's advice in the keepshooting.com thread is good stuff).

I have been trying to get to this point since the Khalan days (July of 2008) and finally have the gun I wanted  ;D  

Big thanks to everyone involved.

And another, better picture:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:16:53 AM by 45zring »
Spes non consilium est!

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 01:29:06 PM »
she's pretty damn sexy.........maybe not as much as Melanie ;D ;D ;D ;D (inside joke)

Offline 45zring

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 08:17:04 PM »
I didn't want to "steal" your girl.
Spes non consilium est!