Author Topic: Leave your feedback about the jig in this thread.  (Read 8175 times)

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
Leave your feedback about the jig in this thread.
« on: January 19, 2007, 01:06:31 PM »
So what do you think about the jig and the service you received?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:14:57 PM by jwh02017 »

Offline john q publik

Re: Leave your feedback about the jig in this thread.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:20:52 AM »
Hello.  I received one of your jigs roughly 2 years ago.  Been busy with the little ones so this project is taking a bit longer than expected.  However since I only have a drill press, I have to start with a 80% lower.  Had absolutely no problems whatsoever with your jigs.  All the holes line up perfectly.  After drilling, I trial fitted all the lower parts, everything went in like clockwork.  I would highly receommend this jig to any who asked.  I did however make one slight modification to it that you may want to consider.  since I was using a drill press and had to clamp the assembly down to the rable in different locations, the jig's bolt heads seemed to get in the way a bit.  So on the second one I did, I drilled out the jig's bolt holes to the depth of the bolt heads to countersink them, so that now I have a completely flat surface for clamping anywhere.  Also I found on OSI website a different way to do the buffer tower, so I tried their way, and it worked much smoother.  Once the takedown holes are drilled, mount up an upper to the lower with the pins, insert a 1 inch bushing (I happened to have 2 lying around wiht 3/8 I.D. so I used them.)  Install a 1 3/16" reamer to a 3/8" steel rod using a roll pin through both as well as a piece of 3/8' I.D. clear vinyl reinforced tubing (since the I.D. of the reamer is 5/8", this worked perfectly.)  Set up the whole thing on the press table, use a lot of oil, and go slowly.  worked like a charm.  zero vibration issues like I got on the first one I did.  If I can learn how to post up pics of this, Ill get some taken and post em.  Anyway, thank yo for your time, energy and effort in providing this jig setup, and maybe if you just countersink those bolt holes it may be a little easier for others.  Otherwise your product is pretty much flawless in my humble uninformed opinion.

john

Offline cabby70

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 12:59:24 PM »
i just finished my first lower and i will tell you i am absalutly pleased on how well it turned out. cant wait to start on # 2  thanks  cabby70

Offline Russel

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
From order to Arrival your jig was here in 4 days. My next project is going to be a 60% or less lower. This fixture makes a great workholding jig. All the holes I drill with your jig were also well within specification. It certainly made my first project easy.
Thanks for the great service and support.

When can we expect billet receivers?  ;D

Offline 300magnum

• sic semper tyranus
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:49:57 PM »
Hi, Just recieved my jig a couple of weeks ago, service from Justin was excellent, quality of the jig is excellent, have measured all the hole spacings compared to mil-spec blueprints and they are perfect.
Great product and great service.
I live in New Zealand and my jig was here in less than ten days.

Thanks Justin for an excellent tool

Offline jimp

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 03:33:39 PM »
I ordered the jig over the week end and got it Thursday.  Great service and a quality product.  How about a AR 10 lower with just the outside finished?

Jim

Offline jwh02017

• CNC Gunsmithing
  • Administrator
    • CNC Gunsmithing
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 10:17:55 PM »
Some guys have been talking about a AR10 lower finished to around 10% complete.  Here's the thread.... http://www.cncguns.com/forum/index.php?topic=69.0  If I can get enough interest I might take on something like that.

Thanks
Justin

Offline DeltaGunner

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 06:11:43 AM »
Ah, the jig,
                  It's a great peice of tooling that makes a huge difference in the success rate for an operable finished project. I'e been doing hobby smith work for going on 30 years making a huge array of toys and accessories for alot of my guns.
The jig set definately is a must for drill press owners and others with limited tooling. I'm not cnc equiped but have a full array of tool room type machines. The project of a lower could have been performed in my shop, with out the jigs, but I suspect the first couple of castings would have been lost to slight misaligned holes. The jigs are straight forward and just about gives one a 99% success rate on their first try.
 I have altered mine by counter sinking the two allen heads for the clamp together, so they do not interfear with vise set up in my mill. I also added drill bushings. The bushings are really un-neccessary, they just add life to a fixture. This particular fixture, unless you have a pot of gold to build the rest of the product to the finished and useable stage, will produce an ample amount of units to last a hobbyist a life time.
Hat's off to the design and production of a great product.

Offline smokydave

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 07:51:33 PM »
Just finished #1, and what a hoot!  Justin's jig was excellent, and the 80% project was great fun.  I honestly don't see how you could go wrong with this jig and his tutorial.

Offline ferretface

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 07:17:10 PM »
My jig is one of the early ones; I also countersunk the SHCS's for clamping in a mill vise. And, I drilled and tapped the jig sides for 3/8" UNC studs. This way, I can clamp the jig to an angle plate to mill & tap the buffer hole. I do this on one of those cheap Harbor Freight Chinese 3in1 mill/lathe/drill machines.

I also drilled the holes through both sides of the jig; not necessary, but it may have spared me a broken drill or two...   ;D